louise renfrey

Talking 105, Islington - institute for the blind - HELP

Have been tracking through some of my 3 x great grand mothers siblings and have come across a John Ward born 1836 who was on 1851 census living at 105 Islington Birmingham - Institute for the blind. When I googled this, the best thing was to see a commemorative medal struck when the new building was completed in 1852. Does anyone know anything more??? Presumably it was a fee-paying school? Did his father, Robert, make a donation for the new building??? John, despite being blind, went on to be a farmer (!!) and a news agent and married a lass called Jane and had many children. Any additional info on this school is greatly appreciated - he was certainly a brave soul and it would be great to learn more. thank you.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Hi Louise, I know you posted this a long long time ago but now I've retired I've re-started my family history and have just come across the same thing. Robert Ward was my Great Great Grandfather. Did you find anything else out?? would be lovely to hear from you.

Sorry, but the “guest” tag on Louise’s message means that she’s no longer a member of British Genealogy and we don’t have contact info for her anymore.
    Of course, with lots of new members and new data online, you never know who will see this message. Or you could start your own thread.