Randall Jones

Question the Folliott & Lygon Families of Pirton Worcestershire abt 1556

I am seeking direction to source historical information relating to the FOLLIOTT and LYGON families of Worcestershire prior to the 1600's.

The Folliotts are of Pirton and the Lygon's are from Arle Madresfield, both are mentioned in the Heraldic Visitations of Worcestershire.
    Thomas Folliott married Katherine Lygon in 1587, they had a son Henry Folliott who become 1st Lord of Balyshannon, he married Ann Strode.
    Their eldest son was Thomas 2nd Lord Folliott of Ballyshannon he married Rebecca French.
    I am particularly interested in the children of this Thomas 2nd Lord Folliott.
    His daughter Rebecca Folliott, married Jacob Walker, however I am uncertain of the birth of a daughter Mary Folliott.
    Mary Folliott I understand was born in Ballyshannon Inchmacsaint Donegal and married Rowland Baugh Squire of the Stonehouse Stokesay.
    I understand that Rowland Baugh's estate included a large land holding in Ballyshannon and assume that it was part of his wife's inheritance.

I would be interested to recieve any suggestion as to how I may trace the details of the children of this member of the Folliott family, and where to source histories of these prominent families of Worcestershire

ziksby

Default A2A National Archives

Try this site
    www.
    a2a.org.uk/search/index.asp"]https://www.a2a.org.uk/search/index.asp

Below is just one file from the Worcester Record Office. More like this for both Folliott and Lygon.

FILE [no title] - ref. 899:749/8782/77/i/16-17 - date: [1592]
    [from Scope and Content] Worcester City. Bargain and sale and counterpart bargain and sale from Barbara Folliott of the Hermitage [? in Pershore], widow, late wife of John Folliott, esquire deceased, William Gower of Boulton [Boughton in Worcester City], esquire and John Gower, gentleman, son and heir apparent of the said William Gower and Bridget his wife to Thomas Chaunce of St. Johns in Bedwardine [in Worcester City], gentleman of a piece of pasture called Dedicrofte containing about ten acres and lying in the aforesaid parish of St. Johns in Bedwardine [in Worcester City] adjoining to Laughern Brook on the west side, to the road leading from Worcester to Bromyard on the north and to the road leading from Worcester to Bransford on the south; four closes of pasture, now undivided, called Ripe Fields and Bowltons Closes containing about twenty-six acres and lying in the same parish adjoining to the aforesaid road leading from Worcester to Bransford on the south, to land called Claphill on the west and to a grove called Bondes Grove on the north; and a parcel of pasture called Batch adjoining to the aforesaid Ripefields.

Lottie

Default the Folliott & Lygon Families of Pirton Worcestershire abt 1556

Randall

Have located the following amongst various records I own, hopefully they will be of use to you!

Index of Wills and Administrations in court of the bishop of Worcester 1601 -1652

1620- 173 FOLLIOT, Katherine, widow, Pirton. W.

1604 - 134 LYGON, Barbara, widow, late wife of Hugh Lygon, gent. 08 May

1582 - 61a LYGON, Ursula, widow, Powick. Admon. and I.

1631 -140 LYGON, Elizabeth, -. W.

NB> The numbers are those of the Will Index ar Worcester Record Office.

Parish of St Michael Bedwardine Worcester

Baptisms

26 Mar 1562 Elyzabethe d. Roger FOLLIOT

</P>
    27 Nov 1588 Barbara d. of Goodlacke FOLLIOT

Burial

28 Mar 1546 Margeret FOLLIOT was buried.

Parish of St Helen’s Worcester

1617 26th December John the sonne of John FOLLIOT was Baptised

1620 19th March John sonne of John FOLLIOT was Baptised.

Lottie
    Last edited by Lottie; 12-11-2004 at 8:03 AM. Reason: data not included

Cheffins

Default ffolliott family, Pirton

Dear Mr Jones
    Do you have any information on the six sons of Sir John ffolliott of Pirton Court in Worcerstershire please ? Circa 1603. I am keen to find out their names and dates of birth.
    with best wishes
    Sarah Flynn

Randall Miles Jones

Red face Children of Sir John Foliot- of Pirton

The information I have of the children of Sir John Foliot son of Thomas Foliot and Kathrine Lygon, by his wife Elizabeth Aylmer m. 1590 Pirton, is as follows.
    Aylmer b.1591; Thomas b.1593; Francis b.1595; Richard b.1597; John b.1599 d.1599;
    Henry b.1601; Zachariah b.1607; Rev Edward b.1609 d.1690; Katherine b.1603;
    Elizabeth b.1605; Judeth b.1612; John b.1615.
    Elizabeth Aylmer being daughter of John Aylmer Bishop of London.
    I would be interested to discover further detail of this family in this period as well, Sir John's involvement in Nth Ireland is of interest, being the son and heir of his families estates in Worcestershire resides in Nth Ireland in the 1600's.
    Brother Sir Henry Foliot earning the title of 1st Lord of Ballyshannon in 1620 for military success at the battle of Kinsale, separates from the Pirton Foliots at this time.

Settling in

Hi,
    Just wondered if you have ever come across the name Aylmore Folliott?
    In his Metallum Martis published in 1665 Dud Dudley (famous for his attempts to smelt iron with pit coal) refers {inter alias) to his " kinsman Master Francis Dingley," and to his " brother, Aylmore Folliott, Esq." How the latter was his " brother " I have not been
    able to discover. He was not the husband of one of Dud's sisters, nor was he the
    brother of Eleanor his wife.
    Cheers,
    Derek