Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Scared of spiders but fond of frogs!

Default Surname Interests: WARD & READMAN

These are the surnames and areas, which I have just started researching for a friend:

CALVERT - Lythe
    FOSTER - Brompton
    LEGG - Ugthorpe
    MAINFORTH - Stainton Dale, Cloughton
    READMAN - Aislaby, Egton
    TATE - Langdale
    WARD - Stainton Dale, Brompton
    Good luck with your research everybody!

Reeve99

Default Surnames Ward and Readman

I have some Readman's in my family

Susannah Readman born in Egton Bridge 1844 to spinster Mary Readman

I also have an unconnected Readman clan in Lockton and their father John Readman born in Goathland in 1816. His father was Francis Readman but unsure yet of birth date or place.

I have a whole batch of Ward's too but from Goathland not Brompton - Christened in St Hedda's RC Church in Egton Bridge.

Anna

Reeve99

Default Readman Research

Also should add that most Readman's in the area seem to be Catholic. There is a man, I think in Australia, who has a lot of info on the Readman's - think he is doing a one name study. His email is [email protected] and he's called Mike Hutchinson! His details were on another message board so I'm sure he won't mind me posting here. Just in case he can be helpful to you.

Anna

Anna,

When I was given the names by my friend, immediately I re-read all your messages, which shows how 'nosey' I am, as I had no dealings with North Yorkshire then!

I copied all your messages into Notepad, printed them off ...... then I was very disappointed to find no connections.

I had been hoping to either, add to your thread, or do a Person to Person message ........ but you never know what may happen?

The name, Francis, appears quite a lot in the Readman and the Ward families, the name seems to be handed down to every generation.

Thank you for the email address, I will write to Mike.

Reeve99

Default Readman Research

No problem.

I go to Northallerton FRO quite a lot so let me know if there's anything I can look up for you.

Anna

Thanks Anna I'll bear that in mind.

Hi Anna,

May I take up your kind offer of help please? Any time in the future, if and when you have time to spare of course.
    I shall be very grateful if you could check two baptisms in the Register for me, this is the first one:

Charles WARD, bap. 01 Nov 1829 Harwood Dale, son of Dennison & Elizabeth WARD.

The second 'look-up' is a request for the baptism entry immediately above this one ....... the only thing I would like to know is:

By any chance is the name of the Mother, listed as Elizabeth?

In my next few messages, to avoid repeating text, I'll give the background which will explain my peculiar request.

continued .....

continued .....
    Dennison WARD 1774-1831 m. Elizabeth WARD (nee EMMERSON) 1784-1860 (died as WILLIS ...... her date of death and surname were not known until this morning.)

The above couple had sixteen children altogether, Charles being the youngest. One of his siblings was Dennison WARD 1803-1829 m. Dorothy MAINFORTH 1802-1850. Below is the 1841 Census for Charles:

CENSUS JUNE 1841 Ref: HO107-1261-11-5-5
    Dwelling: Stainton Dale, Yorkshire

Robt. MAINFORTH (35) Farmer b. In County
    Frances (25) b. In County
    Mary (10 Mths) b. In County
    Dorothy WARD (35) Independent b. In County *
    Mary WARD (10) b. In County
    Charles WARD (10) b. In County
    Elenor POWELL (15) Farmer's Servant b. In County
    William SMITH (15) Farmer's Servant b. In County
    * Robert's Sister

continued .....

continued .....
    In 1851, Charles aged 21, is still with Robert MAINFORTH and he is listed as a Servant. I looked for Elizabeth WARD (nee EMMERSON) in the Census Returns of 1841 and 1851, but couldn't find her, so I thought I would search for her death date, as and when time allowed.

When I started researching the WARD family, after finding the 1841 Census above, I made the fatal error of *assuming* that Charles was the son of Dorothy WARD nee MAINFORTH. After I made contact with someone, he told me that I had made a mistake and that Charles was the son of Dennison, the elder and Elizabeth.

I had no problem with that at all, until I received an email this morning and a little doubt has crept in!

My contact told me that Elizabeth remarried in 1833, to a Thomas WILLIS and in the 1841 Census, two of Elizabeth's daughters' b. 1826 and 1828 are with the family, albeit listed with the surname of WILLIS, instead of WARD. In the 1851 Census, one of the daughter's is still with the family, with the correct surname this time, plus her brother, Robert.

I have questions now, but whether or not they can ever be answered, is anyone's guess!

continued .....

continued .....
    1. Was Charles really 'just visiting' Robert Mainforth in 1841, along with sister-in-law Dorothy?
    2. Did Thomas Willis refuse to take Charles on?
    3. Elizabeth's daughter-in-law, Dorothy, lost her husband in 1829 and her only son in 1830 ...... did Elizabeth 'give' Charles to her to bring up, as some sort of compensation?
    4. Did the Incumbent make a mistake on the Parish Register baptism entry ...... Parents Dennison & Elizabeth, instead of Dennison & Dorothy ....... if the entry above Charles' shows a Mother's name of Elizabeth?

Mistakes do happen, as per this one in respect of my husband's family - Mary's Mother is called Sarah.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast