Pippakit

Default Army Cyclists Corps WW1

Does anyone know anything about the Army Cyclists Corp? A relative of mine was in the 17th Cyclist Battalion, and I would be interested to know exactly what they did. Some people have been amused by the idea of bicycles being used in the war, but I have also been told that they were involved in relaying messages along the lines, dangerous work. My relative was a Dispatch Rider, so this seems to indicate that was indeed the case.

Thank you.
    PippaK

AnnB

I dob't know anything about the Cycling Battalions - but I know a man who does

Take a look at Martyn Smith's site. I know he is primarily interested in the Huntingdon Cyclist's Battalion, but I'm sure the site will point you in the right direction.

Best wishes
    Ann

Reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Pippakit
    Does anyone know anything about the Army Cyclists Corp?
    The first place to look for general information is the "regiments" website.

Try https://www.regiments.org/regiments/uk/inf/cyclist.htm

welshladyj

Default 17thdivision army cycle company army cyclist

Dear pippakit,

I don't even know if u still registered but would love 2 know if u ever managed 2 find info on the 17th division army cycle company army cyclist corp, as I am researching my grandfather Pte Charles Levi Acland who also belonged 2 this corp and have come up against a brick wall trying 2 find any service records where they fought during the war. My grandfather was awarded the military medal whilst serving with the cyclist and I have that information but if u can help me any further I would be truely grateful.

leamington

Some information on the 17th Divisional Cyclist Company of the Army Cyclist Corps on this page. In mid 1916 the cyclist companies were pulled out of the Divisions and placed under Corps command. They get a bit harder to trace but the Company's war diary is at the National Archives if you want real detail.

Knowledgeable and helpful

Wikipedia (search Bicycle infantry) has general info Welshladyj.

Bikes played a crucial part during both world wars.
    Browneyes