houghj40

Default Richard Hoggart/Mary Sowerby m 1786 Asby

Interested to share data with others with Hoggart/Sowerby/Hodgson name interests. This marriage was at Asby, Westmorland I believe Mary was b there 1761 daughter of Joseph and Isabel (nee Hodgson)m 1760 Asby as she had siblings who were twins and twins run in the family but could have been the Mary b 1763-to John Sowerby. Richard Hoggart might have been connected to horses as his son James was a sadler. There seem to be a lot of Sowerby's at Asby and in Appleby at the time but suspect Richard Hoggart was not born there but any help would be appreciated
    Last edited by houghj40; 20-09-2006 at 12:30 AM.

Alan Stephenson

Hi i am descended from the Sowerby family of Asby, i have quite a lot of info on them if you are still interested in this family. I have Richard Hoggart as being born the son of George Hoggart and Margaret Green from the Kendal/Silverdale area. Richard married Mary Sowerby who was the daughter of Joseph Sowerby and Isabel Hodgson, i am descended Joseph and Isabels son William.

yours
    Alan Stephenson

Quote Originally Posted by houghj40 View Post
    Interested to share data with others with Hoggart/Sowerby/Hodgson name interests. This marriage was at Asby, Westmorland I believe Mary was b there 1761 daughter of Joseph and Isabel (nee Hodgson)m 1760 Asby as she had siblings who were twins and twins run in the family but could have been the Mary b 1763-to John Sowerby. Richard Hoggart might have been connected to horses as his son James was a sadler. There seem to be a lot of Sowerby's at Asby and in Appleby at the time but suspect Richard Hoggart was not born there but any help would be appreciated

houghj40

Hi Alan, I am descended from Richard and Mary's son James Hoggart b 1804. Along the way the name mutated to Hoggard in Rochdale in the 1860s. Jessie Hoggard was my grandmother... it would be interesting to compare notes. Incidentally the twins have continued to run in the family and my uncle was a twin but sadly his twin died.I can be contacted on
    jane AT jhoughton85 DOT freeserve DOT co DOT uk
    Last edited by Jan1954; 16-03-2011 at 6:30 AM. Reason: Email address edited in the war against spammers