Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Alan Grove

Default Donald Bain - Born Wick 1774

Thank you for reading this.

My Great-Great-Great-Grandfather was Donald Bain, who was born in Wick in 1774, probably on the 9th March.

By the time he was 20 he had moved to the Redruth area of Cornwall, when he worked at various jobs including schoolmaster, private tutor and estate manager.

Although he appears to have spent most of his adult life in this area, there is evidence that he spent some time in the 1820's in the Plymstock area of Devon.

From the 1830's onwards he was back in the Redruth area where he was involved with the management of Portreath harbour. It is possible that by the time of his death he had gained a controlling interest in the harbour company.

In 1807 he married Harriet Wise, the daughter of a surgeon from Redruth. They had at least six children, including my Great-Great-Grandmother Harriet.

He died on the 18th April 1850 and was buried in the churchyard of Illogan parish church, near Redruth.

Although I have researched Donald's adult life, I know almost nothing about his family and ancestors in Caithness, and I am now keen to find out more.

If any of this sounds familiar, I would be interested to hear from you.

Thank you once again for reading this.

Alan Grove
    Last edited by Alan Grove; 18-09-2006 at 7:05 PM.

twinkle

Hi Alan

I have been informed that Donald Bain is connected to my family tree. His daughter Elizabeth married Richard Hockin Sincock and my Grandmother Millie Hockin Sincock is related to this family, but I am unable to find the connection her father Richard/William Hockin Sincock (one is on her birth certifucate, the other on her marriage certificate). I was wondering if you have any information that would help me.

Karen

Procat

Hi Karen,

Alan has not been on the Forums since Feb 07 so he may not see your post.

Quote Originally Posted by twinkle View Post
    Hi Alan

I have been informed that Donald Bain is connected to my family tree. His daughter Elizabeth married Richard Hockin Sincock and my Grandmother Millie Hockin Sincock is related to this family, but I am unable to find the connection her father Richard/William Hockin Sincock (one is on her birth certifucate, the other on her marriage certificate). I was wondering if you have any information that would help me.

Karen

Since Alan says that Donald died in England (where death certs can be less informative) it would be useful to look for any sibling who died in Scotland in 1855 or after. That should shed light on his parents.

As regards the Sincocks, it's easier to help with a few dates/years to work on. If they descend from one of Donald's children, does this mean that they were Cornish-born? If so, I think you'd be better posting, with a bit more info (eg the years that Millie was born and wed) to the Cornwall forum.

Lesley

twinkle

I don't know of any family at all of Donald Bain only that he came from Scotland. Millie Hockin Sincock was born 1881 Redruth Cornwall died 1946 Truro. Donald's daughter married a Richard Hockin Sincock they had children but it would probably be their childrens children, that is the link I am unable to find but will ask the Cornwall forum
    Karen

Alan Grove

Karen,

I received your message ok. I have e-mail notifications of any activity on this thread.

I think I might have an answer for you. It looks as if Richard Hockin Sincock re-married after the death of his first wife Mary Elizabeth Bain in January 1873.

FreeBMD shows a Richard Hockn Sincock marrying in the September quarter of 1873. Possibly it was to Mary Reynolds, and they had three children. He died in May 1880.

The 1881 census shows a widowed Mary Sincock living in Redruth. The youngest child is Millie Sincock, aged 9 months.

Of course much of this in conjecture and would need the various BMD certificates to prove it. However, it might well be what you are looking for.

Please let me know if I can help further.

Alan Grove

twinkle

Angry

Hello Alan

Tnaks for the information, I was going along those lines and yes Richard Hockin Sincock married twice.
    Sorry to be so long in replying but my computer crashed and I lost everything, just bought new and starting to build my tree again.

Thanks again

Karen

matthewyeoland

i have many of photos of my great great great parents donald bain and mary bain scotland, i know they had 3 daughters and two sons, the youngest daughter christina tennant bain married robert livingstone mcculloch , mary's children were john , donald jean ,mary and christina , the photos are from scotland , where can i disply them for anyone related to these people?

History

I have got certificates of R H Sincock and his marriage to Mary Reynolds in 1873, she then married James Beard in 1886 if that is any help.

Judith

Elaine Bain

Default Richard Hockin Sincock

Quote Originally Posted by twinkle View Post
    Hi Alan

Karen
    Hi Karen

You have to be careful with Richard Hockin Sincock because there are 2 of them born about the same time in the same place. One married an Elizabeth (?) and the other married Mary Elizabeth Bain. You will find them both in the 1871 census. Mary was, as far as I can see, always called Mary and in the census is Mary E Sincock. All their male children have got Bain in their name. 3 of them were born in South America, Chile and Bolivia)

My husband was a descendant to Donald Bain (1774) via his son David Wise Bain

I would like to contact Alan Grove. Have you any idea how I can do so? I believe he has seen Donald Bain's grave and I wonder if has has a photo.

Elaine Bain

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast