Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Robin McEwen-King

Re Lt RADFORD .. his recommendation is available from the National Archives at Kew ...online for £3.30 ... or possibly cheaper from one ot the TNA regulars who photograph documents for WW2 researchers.

TNA link is https://discovery.nationalarchives.go...ils/r/D7379735

R

Hello Alan
    You can apply for your grandfather's WW11 service record from the MOD. This sticky gives information and links. It will be rather a long wait though as so many are applying at the moment.

Thank you Robin for all the help you are giving to those with relatives who served in this Durham regiment.

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Robin McEwen-King

Quote Originally Posted by christanel View Post
    Hello Alan
    You can apply for your grandfather's WW11 service record from the MOD. This sticky gives information and links. It will be rather a long wait though as so many are applying at the moment.

Thank you Robin for all the help you are giving to those with relatives who served in this Durham regiment.

Christina
    Thanks Christina .... My father in law was with the 4th Durham from April 1939 until April 1946 and was the first Sec of the Old Comrades Association. His daughter Margaret and I are happy to carry on the OCA tradition although her father died some time ago and the last OCA Sec is gone too and also our last known living Old Comrade contact died earlier this year ....

So now it is up to us 'the next generation' to keep their spirit of comradeship going.

AND we do so much agree .... get the full service record file from the MOD ( in Glasgow) - we have plenty of documents for her father BUT the MOD Service Record still added significantly and was well worth the fee. Takes a while for it to arrive ... several months.

BTW would be delighted to find that there is still a 4th Durham man alive.....

Robin

ps We are in touch with both Jim WHETTON the nephew of the old Colonel Whetton who updated his uncle's history of the regiment and has made sure that it is available online see https://www.defencesurveyors.org.uk/I...vey_in_War.pdf

and also Max Magnelli-Climpson who wrote the definitive work on the WW2 Survey Regiments.

Robin McEwen-King

Quote Originally Posted by Robin McEwen-King View Post

and also Max Magnelli-Climpson who wrote the definitive work on the WW2 Survey Regiments.
    Lt Radford is indexed in Max's book

Robin McEwen-King

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Swaby View Post
    My Grandfather Robert Radford QM was in this regiment ..... my mother was born in BMH Cairo Eygpt Dec 1939 then the family was shipped back to England.
    "Z Location" has an interesting quote about the time on the troopship approacing Aden when RQMS Radford as an experienced regular who had been there before was invited by the Colonel to give a talk on what to expect in Egypt ... his talk opened with "Pineapples" .... read the book to discover why the Colonel interrupted his talk.

He is also mentioned in Max's book (Larkhill's Wartime Locators) - when the regiment lost a whole battery in the fall of Tobruk in 1942 the Colonel wanted a core of officers and NCO's he knew well RQMS Radford was put through for field promotion to Lt Q.

Max's book is available as an ebook

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Hi, my uncle was Frederick Lazenby Irvine. He served in the 4th Durham in Egypt. I have a couple of photos if anyone would like to see them. I have one with several names on the back. Mich Rowe, Cecil Johnson, Ron Theodoreson, Peter Sh??will, Joe Southern and Bob Southern? Not the best hand writing so names may not be perfect.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123