Loves to help with queries

Default Vallis family letters 1818 to 1850

I'm trying to trace the family of Richard and Mary Vallis who were residing in Shepton Montague in 1818 to 1821 era. My research so far indicates their children were Ann, who married a blacksmith surname Talbot. James who married Elizabeth, Joseph (appears to be a bachelor), Richard married Harriet, Jane who married Samuel Knapton and Samuel who married sarah Taylor. There is letters written in 1818 and 1821 from Richard and Mary Vallis of Shepton Montague to James Vallis in Coomb's Cove Newfoundland. Other letters dated Feb. 23, 1846 from Jane in Wincanton and Jan. 29, 1850 in Bayford from Jane and her husband Samuel Knapton who were inn keepers at The Unicorn Inn which still operates today after being in business for 270 years, amazing. I will look forward to receiving any suggestions to help complete the family and I'm in Canada and I'll share whatever I can as well..
    Thank you
    Bob
    Last edited by Bob Topley; 10-10-2006 at 11:43 PM. Reason: Update Richard & Mary Vallis family of Shepton Montague

HiFly

Thumbs up

Hi Bob!!!!!

Nice to see you joined BG Forums :-)

HiFly

PS I think some of the family in Shepton Montague area are occasionally recorded as VALLACE & VALLES
    Last edited by HiFly; 08-09-2006 at 11:49 PM. Reason: added line

Default Vallace, Valles, Vallis

Thank you. I'll be looking for Richard and Mary Vallace, Valles or Vallis born between between 1745 and 1775 in Somerset or perhaps Hampshire. I have learned Jane Vallis, daughter of Richard and Mary and sibling of Ann, James, Joseph, Richard and Samuel, was married to Samuel Knapton and they were inn keepers for The Unicorn Inn in Bayford near Wincanton in 1850.
    Last edited by Bob Topley; 10-09-2006 at 5:04 PM. Reason: correct year date and add names

HiFly

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Topley
    Thank you. I'll be looking for Richard and Mary Vallace, Valles or Vallis born between born between 1845 and 1875 in Somerset or perhaps Hampshire. I have learned a member of the family was an inn keeper for The Unicorn Inn in Bayford near Wincanton in 1850.
    Bob in my files I spotted that I had some 'stray' info...

A Richard Vallis of Shepton Montegue, Somerset married a Mary Dorvil of Evercreech, Somerset on 13-Oct-1787 @ Shepton Montague, Somerset.

Of course this is probably not your Richard & Mary...but there may be a connection??..

There also appears to be a Richard b c 1791 married to a Harriet b 1809 - this is the info sources I have on them - however as I don't have access to the online census someone will have to cross-check

Census 1841 - Residence Higher Shepton, Shepton Montague. Somerset
    SOURCE 1841 H0107-0952 FOLIO-7/9 Page/13
    Census 1851 - Residence Higher Shepton, Shepton Montague. Somerset
    Source 1851 HO107/1931 Folio 621

HiFly

Default Richard married to Harriet

I totally agree with you that Richard was married to Harriet. In an 1850 letter, he would be about 60 years old and his sister Jane states "Brother Richard he is not doing very well, not well to do work". His wife, I believe to be Harriet, was about 15 years younger than him and she was well and she said they were very happy together. In an earlier 1821 letter Richard's parents wanted him to stay home because they were getting on in years and he wasn't married then. I expect he got married after one or both parents died and I never came across any reference that they had any children. I'm going to look at every Richard and Mary Vallis, Valles, Vallace I can find, particularly ones born between 1740 and 1770. Thank you for your tips.

Good Day HiFly
    I was told yesterday that Richard Vallis and Mary Dorvil is more than likely the family that I'm looking for. Do have have anything more in your "stray" Vallis file?
    Thanks for all your tips, it's appreciated.
    Bob

HiFly

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Topley
    Good Day HiFly
    I was told yesterday that Richard Vallis and Mary Dorvil is more than likely the family that I'm looking for. Do have have anything more in your "stray" Vallis file?
    Thanks for all your tips, it's appreciated.
    Bob
    Sorry Bob - not as yet.....suggest you place a new Lookup request on those two?

HiFly

Pam Dixon

My Husband David Bruce Johnson born Kitchener Waterloo has just found out that he is descended from James and Elizabeth Vallis of Coombs Cove - would be delighted to know the content of the Vallis letters.

Default James and Elizabeth Vallis

Quote Originally Posted by Pam Dixon View Post
    My Husband David Bruce Johnson born Kitchener Waterloo has just found out that he is descended from James and Elizabeth Vallis of Coombs Cove - would be delighted to know the content of the Vallis letters.
    How are you connected to this family line? Some people think they are connected but due to some misinformation floating around they have found out they are not.

Pam Dixon

Hi Bob,
    Thanks for the reply.
    My GGmother is Susanna Susan? Vallis b. Coombes Cove 26/09/1829 d. 21 01 1910 Halifax m. George Guy B. 05/05/1830 in Harbour Buffet Newfoundland on 26/09/1851, lived in Lunenbourg/Halifax N.S. and married into my mother's family there from Nova Scotia.
    I hope this makes sense- we have just found your letters mentioned of her parents James Vallis and Elizabeth and hence have made the connectoin to the West Country and Shepton Montague.
    Assuming this connection is real, an information on the family tree is very welcome.. when did they emigrate to Newfoundland?...
    My mothers family eventually moved to Ottawa in Ontario in 1930's and I have "emigrated" in reverse and lived in the Uk for the past 34 years
    Yours sincerely,
    David Bruce Johnson