Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Arlene McGaw

Default Union Workhouse Dearnley,Wuerdle & Wardle

I think I have found a member of our family (age 9 in 1881), maybe others also, in this workhouse. I would like to find out where I can see the records of the workhouse to see if I can match this boy with other information I have.

Geoffers

Quote Originally Posted by Arlene McGaw
    I think I have found a member of our family (age 9 in 1881), maybe others also, in this workhouse. I would like to find out where I can see the records of the workhouse to see if I can match this boy with other information I have.
    Workhouse records are usually held with the Local County Record Office. I presume this area will be with Greater Manchester CRO www.gmcro.co.uk

Geoffers
    Charlbury, Oxfordshire

Arlene McGaw

Default Union Workhouse Dearnley

Thank you for your reply, but I think it would be in Lancashire, don't you? I wonder if they have a web site.

Geoffers

Quote Originally Posted by Arlene McGaw
    Thank you for your reply, but I think it would be in Lancashire, don't you? I wonder if they have a web site.
    My apologies, I always understood that Dearnley, and Wuerdle & Wardle were townships within the parish of Rochdale (now part of Greater Manchester). Wardle certainly still is part of Rochdale, isn't it?

Lancashire RO website is https://www.lancashire.gov.uk/educati...f/ro/index.asp

Geoffers
    Charlbury, Oxfordshire

Arlene McGaw

Thank you, apparently you are correct, at least for 1874.Daughter found something there regarding Manchester filing against a family member in Rochdale. Going to go the the site. Now I may be getting somewhere. Just need workhouse records now I think.
    Thanks again.

kbexraf

Default Dearnley Uniion Workhouse Rochdale

Arlen McGaw
    the last posting was slightly wrong. Best way is to type in "Rochdale workhouse and poor law union" in search engine,that will bring up a site,then click on the appropirate section along the top.
    I will put in the address again, workhouses.org.uk

There are some McGah on the list of inmates,maybe the ones you are seeking.
    Let me oknow how you get on

Ken

Arlene McGaw

Quote Originally Posted by kbexraf
    Arlen McGaw
    the last posting was slightly wrong. Best way is to type in "Rochdale workhouse and poor law union" in search engine,that will bring up a site,then click on the appropirate section along the top.
    I will put in the address again, workhouses.org.uk

There are some McGah on the list of inmates,maybe the ones you are seeking.
    Let me oknow how you get on

Ken
    Thank you very much for your info. I went to the site manually, the other one didn't work, and found our people at the Workhouse. I also enjoyed reading facts regarding the town of Rochdale. Now all I need is to find out how our people came to be there.

Diana Davies

I am also trying to access the Dearnley records but I can't get onto the website using the link or by typing it in.

I can get general details but no list of inmates. An ideas please?

D Davies

peterh

Default Rochdale web page

Hi Diana,
    The web address given in a previous posting was incorrect. Try
    workhouses.org.uk
    All best wishes,
    Peter

Quote Originally Posted by Diana Davies
    I am also trying to access the Dearnley records but I can't get onto the website using the link or by typing it in.

I can get general details but no list of inmates. An ideas please?

D Davies

Diana Davies

Default Rochdale workhouse

Dear Peter,

Thankyou so much for this link. I found it many moons ago but failed to store it.

Diana Davies

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast