Sharon Medley

Question 1851 census lookup please/Gates

Would somebody mind looking up to see if there is a Frederick GATES born abt. 1846 listed to a James and Elizabeth GATES. Thank you.
    Sharon

Valued member of Brit-Gen

Default Frederick Gates

Sharon

Not sure if this is what you are looking for, there is a Frederick Gates aged 6 living Marylebone Middx in 1851, with parents James 1806 and Betsy 1812, none were born in Hampshire.

Let me know if you would like anymore info.

Irene

Sharon Medley

Smile

Irene,
    Thank you. Since this is the only Frederick Gates found born to a James and Elizabeth(Betsy) he must be my man. Someone had writen that he was not found with this family in the 1861 census. There is a possability that he died but I think that he must be someplace else in 1861. My Frederick left for Canada in 1865 (cannot find him yet in the 1871 Canadian census) but from 1881 till his death in 1921 he was a gas fitter/plumber so I'm thinking that maybe he left home sometime after 1851 and before 1861 to learn his trade.
    Were there trade schools in England at that time or did they just start out as an apprentice?
    Sharon

maug

Cool Hampshire Gates.

My husband's ancesters all came from Hampshire. I have been able to get back to a George Gates 1772 of Hinton Ampner who maried a Sarah Whitier. Many of the family also lived in Tichbourne. Hampshire.
    I wish I could help you but I can't find a Frederick as of now.

Sharon Medley

Smile

Thank you Maug. This side of my family has given me more gray hairs than I care to count.
    Sharon