Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    aaaa

Default skeggs ancestor search

I am looking for ancestors or siblings of Richard Skeggs. He and his family appear in the 1841 census. He is shown as being an agricultural labourer aged 25, his wife's maiden name was Susannah Keep.

Geoffers

Can you narrow this down to a place? - even a shire would help.

Have you tried searching any of the online census records?

Geoffers

Knowledgeable and helpful

Found the following on the LDS IGI indes

Richard Skeggs married Susannan Kemp 10-3-1834 North Mimms, Hertford.

Julie

https://www.familysearch.org/ENG/Sear...set_search.asp

aaaa

Quote Originally Posted by Geoffers
    Can you narrow this down to a place? - even a shire would help.

Have you tried searching any of the online census records?

Geoffers
    Hello. I know that Richard Skeggs married Susannah Kemp on the 10-3-1834 in North Mimms, Hertford. He was an agricultural labourer. But the 1841 census lists his family as living in Friern Barnet, Middlesex. Some research I have done suggests that there was a Skeggs family living in Datchworth, 10 miles from North Mimms that might be worth checking as they also appear to have been agricultural labourers. I do not have access to the Datchworth parish records from the 1780's to the 1820's.

aaaa

Quote Originally Posted by blue eyes
    Found the following on the LDS IGI indes

Richard Skeggs married Susannan Kemp 10-3-1834 North Mimms, Hertford.

Julie

https://www.familysearch.org/ENG/Sear...set_search.asp
    Thank you for your assistance Julie. I have this information already and am trying to look further back or sideways. Are you a Skeggs descendent yourself? Do you have any other Skeggs info.

Reputation beyond repute

"I do not have access to the Datchworth parish records from the 1780's to the 1820's."

They have been filmed by the Mormons and can be ordered and viewed at one of their Family History Centres.

Knowledgeable and helpful

I hav'nt any connections to the Skeggs. Just trying to be helpful.

Julie

Geoffers

Quote Originally Posted by aaaa
    Hello. I know that Richard Skeggs married Susannah Kemp on the 10-3-1834 in North Mimms, Hertford. He was an agricultural labourer. But the 1841 census lists his family as living in Friern Barnet, Middlesex.
    If you have the census returns 1851 onwards giving you a place name, you then need to check the parish registers - which as Peter has said should be available through on of the mormon church (LDS) centres. If you cannot get to one of their centres, the County RO may be able to provide copies (fiches/film/photocopy) to help you or the local FHs may have transcripts.

The original marriage register engtry may provide additional information - whether groom or bride were widowed at marriage, confirmation of the date, whether marriage was by banns/licence, who were the witnesses, etc. So if at all possible, they are always worth hunting out

One other minor thing, not everyone records dates the same way, some say 10-3 is 10th March, others that it reads October 3rd. To avoid any confusion (especially when you manage to trace related families) it is usually better to record 10th March 1834, or March 10th 1834.

Geoffers

chloed

Default skeggs

i have skeggs in layston and great munden [herts] in the 1730's.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

I have Skeggs in Ware,Anstey,Layston,Hitchen,Aspeden in Hertfordshire. going back to Dunton Bedfordshire.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast