pajero

Thumbs up John Ellis Brown Watson

Hi there everyone
    I am Trying to find out details on my grandfather born in Oakham in second quarter 1892 cant find anything else out only rumours

many thanks

What info are you looking for? And what do you have, so folks don't duplicate stuff you already know.

Rgds
    Mike

pajero

Thumbs up John ellis brown watson

I am afraid that is the only info i have other than he marryed Marion Tulloch in circa 1915 and had 7 sons one of which is my father and he died young we think and was possiblely an orphan but no one is very certain hope this helps

all the best

Pajero

emyrmorgan

Lightbulb

Just a hunch - but it's a possibility that your grandfather's maternal grandfather (or maybe uncle) was called Ellis Brown. In my experience, it quite frequently happens that a mother's near relative's name is given to her child and quite often this will include the full name - Christian (or 'given' to be PC) name and surname. You will need to shell out £7 and buy your grandfather's birth certificate (price of a cheap round!) in order to progress your search. Interestingly my great-great grandfather was called Ellis Brown - he was from market Overton, Rutland. He had many daughters - one of whom could have been your grandfather's mother. If you get hold of the certificate I may be able to help you further. I can't guarantee it - as I said it's based on a hunch about your grandfather's Christian names. Either way you'll have to buy the certificate since you won't find the info anywhere else!

pajero

Thumbs up

Hi there
    many thanks for your advice I will order the birth certificate and get back in touch

all the best
    pajero

pajero

Default got birth cert

Hi there every one,
    I have just got my Grand Fathers Birth Certificate back it states he was born illegitimate but his mother was Elizabeth Ann Watson b 1871 to Emmanuel Watson and Sarah Jane Hill but I have no dates for them any help would be appreciated . There was apparently a local man Called John Ellis Brown who was a couple of years older than Elizabeth could possibly be John Ellis father but how long is a bit of string

janbooth

Default WATSONs of Oakham

I don't know if you have any census records for Elizabeth Ann, but in case not here they are:

1881 census of Oakham Lords Hold
    RG11/3187, folio 67, page 20
    Schedule 107, Mount Pleasant

Emanuel WATSON Head Mar 53 Sawyer Norths Paulers Pury
    Sarah J do Wife Mar 49 do Wansford
    Mary C E do Daur Unm 19 do do
    Ellen do Daur Unm 18 do do
    Elizabeth A do Daur 9 Scholar Rutland Oakham
    Sarah J do Daur 7 do do do
    Alice do Daur 5 do do do
    Elizabeth do Niece Unm 18 Dressmker Norths Potterspury

1891 census of Oakham Lords Hold
    RG12/2548, folio 26, page 21
    Schedule 145, Church Street, Roebuck Inn

Albert BALE Head M 45 Inn Keeper Leicester's Kibsworth
    Emily do Wife M 39 do asst Northampton's Wansford
    Emily GOODMAN Niece 13 do do Leicester's Wigston
    Elizabeth WATSON Serv S 19 Domestic servant Rutland Oakham

There is a marriage of an Elizabeth Ann WATSON in the June qtr of 1894 at Oakham reg district vol 7a, page 530, the 2 grooms on the same page being Thomas DAWSON and John Henry NEAL. There is the following 1901 census entry for an Elizabeth NEAL in Peterborough St John:

RG13/1461, folio 108, page 13
    Schedule 80, 44 Albert Place

John H NEAL Head M 41 Sheet Repair Proof Cambs March
    Elizabeth do Wife M 29 Rutland Oakham
    Bertie do Son 5 Northampton Peterboro
    Charles do Son 4 do do
    Thomas do Father Widr 83 Living on own means Hunts Huntingdon

The only John WATSON I can find in the 1901, is on RG13/3015, folio 71, page 18 in Oakham, aged 9, born Langham (very close to Oakham), Rutland who is a visitor in the household of John BARKER, aged 52, Gen Ag Lab, born Oakham and his wife Lucy, aged 51, born Uppingham, Rutland.

Hope this helps anyway.

Janet

Reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by pajero
    There was apparently a local man Called John Ellis Brown who was a couple of years older than Elizabeth could possibly be John Ellis father but how long is a bit of string
    If born in the workhouse, it would be worth searching any surviving records for mention of the father. Also petty session records for any filiation record. Errant fathers were chased for money even more enthusiastically than today.

pajero

Default john ellis brown

Hi there,
    every one thanks for the reply I will carry on digging about

all the best
    Pajero