Sex M
    Father Forename John
    Mother Forename Ann
    Father Surname SIMNET
    Mother Surname
    Abode Newark
    Father Occupation: Pipemaker
    (source: www.freereg.org.uk)
    Last edited by lsimnitt; 11-03-2013 at 1:46 AM. Reason: to add the source so others can find it

lsimnitt

If you're able to sign onto www.familysearch.org, click Family Tree at the top. Enter PID number in to search for Thomas Bartholomew Simnitt: L71S-SG8

lsimnitt

Thomas had three wives. The first two died. I do not know his second wife's maiden name or if they had any children. I have been unable to find any marriage record.

Through the first wife who died of typus fever, he had these children:

Mary Ann Simnitt
    1839-1904

Maria Simnitt
    1840-1918

William Feargus Simnitt
    1842-1847

Selina Emmett Simnitt
    1844-1923

Second wife, Elizabeth Ann:
    (I am not not aware of any children)
    Street: CHATHAM STREET Parish: NEWARK City: NEWARK County: Nottinghamshire Division Of County: SOUTHERN Ecclesiastical District: CHRIST CHURCH Enumeration District: 1L Hamlet: House Name: House Number: Parliamentary Borough: NEWARK Municipal Ward: EAST WARD Registration District: NEWARK Category: Census, Land & Substitutes Record set: 1851 England, Wales & Scotland Census Collections from: United Kingdom Folio: 282 Page: 37 Piece Number: 2137 Source: Archive Reference: HO107 Less
    Notes
    First Name: ELIZABETH A Last Name: SIMNITT Birth Year: 1830 Age: 21 Birth Place: Birth Town: GRASSTHORPE Birth County: NOTTINGHAMSHIRE Relationship To Head of Household: WIFE Gender: F Occupation: Street: CHATHAM STREET Parish: NEWARK City: NEWARK Other Household Members: THOMAS SIMNITT 1820 31 HEAD

Third wife, Emma:

John Thomas Simnitt
    1854-1926

George Walter Simnitt Sr
    1859-1935

Clara Anita Simnitt
    1861-1935

Emily Simnitt
    1863-1948

Rose Mary Simnitt
    1865-1960

Joseph Gary Valda (Gary) Simnitt
    1866-1959

Fergus Lincoln Simnitt
    1868-1948

Ernest Jonas Simnitt
    1870-1958

Oceanie Simnitt
    1872-1872

Lynn (Linney) Mazino Simnitt
    1873-1962

William Amos Simnitt
    1876-1952

lsimnitt

He was a farmer in America, in the state of Kansas.
    These are his children (names may not be absolutely correct) through his wife Emma WRIGHT who traveled with him from England to United States:

John Thomas Simnitt
    1854-1926

George Walter Simnitt Sr
    1859-1935

Clara Anita Simnitt
    1861-1935

Emily Simnitt
    1863-1948

Rose Mary Simnitt
    1865-1960

Joseph Gary Valda (Gary) Simnitt
    1866-1959

Fergus Lincoln Simnitt
    1868-1948

Ernest Jonas Simnitt
    1870-1958

Oceanie Simnitt
    about 1871 or 1872, died at sea

Lynn (Linney) Mazino Simnitt
    1873-1962

William Amos Simnitt
    1876-1952

---
    He returned to England to collect his inheritance and did not come back. He suffered several strokes.

lsimnitt

This may or may not be helpful to you, a personal business card reads:

T. B. SIMNITT,
    TOBACCO PIPE MANUFACTURER,
    BUTCHER STREET, NOTTINGHAM,

Respectfully announces that he has opened the above as a Branch Estab-
    lishment, and where he will be enabled to offer to the public a superior

Plain or Ornamental Pipe.

Used Pipes Re-burnt, Pot-glazed Tipped, and returned next day nearly
    equal to new.

Tailors', Painters', and Artists' CRAYONS, of a variety of Colours,
    supplied in the Parisian style, T. B. S. having received instructions in the
    first Establishment in Paris.

janbooth

Hi again Katy,

Given the further information provided for you above in that Selina's father was Thomas SOAR, Lacemaker, there is a baptism on FreeREG at Nottingham St Mary on 22 July 1816 of a Selena SOAR daughter of Thomas & Elizabeth SOAR, Millstone Lane, Framework Knitter. This baptism is corroborated by the Notts FHS Baptismal Index - sorry my fault, I missed this the first time as I was searching for Selina and a reminder to myself that Selina can be spelled in different ways!

Janet

blueyeshorlicks

Dear Janet,
    Thank you very much for that!! You obviously are quite skilled at finding the right info. I spend hours going down the wrong route!! They are definitely not Italian..? It's curious how these family myths are carried forward.....I expect there is a simple explanation.
    Katy

blueyeshorlicks

This is great!! That he was selling Artists materials as well (My Humphrys family were in this business) And that he was refurbishing pipes that were really the first 'throw away' consumable! Very imaginative/adventurous man!
    Katy

blueyeshorlicks

Thank you so much for this. So Selina died of Typus?? I thought that having four children in 5 years had 'finished her off' , is this info. on her death record? Then Thomas married Elizabeth 6 years later...She was 21 and he 31 and dead within 2 years we presume, as the first of Emma's children was born in 1854. If both previous wives were dead, why didn't he marry Emma?
    Do you know of any Italian connections in this family? Katy

janbooth

We've all been there and done that Katy! Early on in my research I spent quite a time following one line, thought I had all the children off pat of this particular ancestor and only when I purchased his will discovered that I had missed a generation in between. Both generations were a Thomas married to a Mary - very unadventurous in their naming of children - which caused the problem.

Isn't it great for you to have all these different SIMNITT researchers following the same line and what a wealth of information you have now gleaned. Good luck with the rest of your research.

Janet

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast