Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

The publication "Northern Star" included a column that dealt with queries from readers. Spotted this and wondered what the query might have been -

Northern Star - Saturday, 15 April 1843
    To Readers and Correspondents
    T.B. SIMNITT, NEWARK.- Certainly not: you will be in great danger if you do

blueyeshorlicks

Dear Janet, Thank you very much for this...do you know who were Selina Soar's parents were? My great-grandfather said he was half Italian and I've tried to find any link to Italians in the Simnitt line, but no obvious link. So it is possibly through Selina Soar, (married to Thomas Bartholomew),...although it would mean he wasn't half Italian? Maria Simnitt, (Selina's second daughter). his mother was Married to Thomas Overton. 1835-1911. How can I get access to the Notts FHS Baptismal Index?
    Katy

blueyeshorlicks

I've used family search, but can't access birth records or census info. Please could you help me to access this 'wealth of info.' All that happens is an attempt to link me to other web-sites which require joining....?
    Thank you for your help!
    Katy

janbooth

Hello Katy,

Nottinghamshire Family History Society sell Baptismal, Marriage and Burial Index CDs for the county of Nottinghamshire. My husband's ancestors (and himself) are from Notts and so we have some of the CDs.

The only baptism I can find on the Index for a Selina SOAR is at Radford on 21 January 1821, parents William & Elizabeth SOAR, Radford, Framework Knitter. Selina's age fits within the parameters of that shown in the 1841 census. There is a burial on the Notts Index for a Selina SIMNITT on 10 February 1845 at Newark, aged 27.

Janet

janbooth

The SOAR family seem to go quite a way back in Nottinghamshire, so not too sure about an Italian link. Siblings of Selina could be as follows:

9 January 1825 At Radford Mary Ann Howell SOAR daughter of William & Elizabeth, Radford, Lace Maker
    21 June 1826 at Nottingham St Peter Henry George Howell SOAR, son of William & Elizabeth, Sussex St, Lace Maker
    29 November 1828 at Radford George SOAR, son of William & Elizabeth, Radford, Lace Maker
    31 January 1831 at Radford Catherine Howell SOAR, daughter of William & Elizabeth, Radford, Lace Maker
    30 October 1832 at Radford Catherine Howell SOAR, daughter of William & Elizabeth, Radford, Lace Maker
    23 December 1825 at Nottingham St Mary Charles SOAR, son of William & Elizabeth, Leen Side, Lacemaker

Notts FHS Marriage Index shows a marriage at Radford on 14 February 1820 of a William SOAR & Elizabeth HOWELL

The 1841 census of Nottingham St Peter (HO107/871/8, folio 25, page 7) shows William & Elizabeth living at Albion Street with children Henry aged 15, Catharine aged 8, Charles aged 6 and George aged 4, so it looks as if some of the earlier children may have died.

The 1851 census of Nottingham St Peter (HO107/2133, folio 257, page 21) shows William & Elizabeth living at Darkers(?) Yard, Broad Marsh with children Charles, George, Mary Ann & Elizabeth.

By the 1861 census they have moved to Nottingham St Mary and by the 1871 census William is a Widower and living back in Albion Street, St Peter.

There are at least a couple of baptisms of a William SOAR at St Mary around 1800 so you will have to check back through both families to find which is your William. Only 1 Elizabeth HOWELL I can find on the Index, baptised at St Mary on 24 December 1798 daughter of Henry & Elizabeth but you really should check all these records for yourself as my versions of all the Index CDs are now pretty old and have been updated several times by Notts FHS since we purchased them.

Good luck and let me know if I can help further.

Janet

lsimnitt

Default Selina Soar's Father is named Thomas Soar.

From the marriage record of Thomas and Selina:

Bride's Father's name: Thomas SOAR; father's profession: Lacemaker

lsimnitt

some sites with information:
    www.freebmd.org.uk
    www.freereg.org.uk (you can find baptismal records at this site)
    www.freecen.org.uk

lsimnitt

The website www.familysearch.org does not cost a thing. I do not know why you are getting the results which you have listed.

lsimnitt

Default Thomas Bartholomew Simnitt

Subject: RE: Research enquiry re Thomas Bartholomew Simnitt From: [email protected] To: [email protected] Date: Fri, 31 Dec 2010 11:45:57 +0000 Reference: PL/70/3/Simnitt Please Ask For: Search Room Dear Mrs Simnitt Further to our correspondence below, our researcher has identified an article he wrote on the clay tobacco-pipe industry of Newark, which is a special interest of his, which includes a short biography of Thomas Bartholomew Simnitt. We have included it here in case you are not aware of any of these details: SIMNITT, Thomas Bartholomew The only son of John Lyne Simnitt, being baptised at Newark church on 27th August 1819 and learnt the trade of pipe making under his father. On 13th December 1838 he married Selina Soar at Newark Church, the wedding being witnessed by Ingram William Haw, pipe maker, and his bride-to-be who was Selina's sister Ann. In the 1841 census Simnitt is listed as living next door to his parents, with his wife and two daughters. His wife Selina died in 1845 aged 27 and Thomas later re-married. The only directory references to him occur in the 1840s, indicating that this was the only period when he was a master pipe maker in his own right. In the census of 1851 Thomas and his second wife Elizabeth Ann are listed as residing on Chatham Street but following her death during the 1850s he moved back with his parents on Eldon Street, where he is listed as a widower and pipe maker in the census of 1861. By 1868 he had moved to 2 May's Row, situated next door to his father's pipe manufactory, and this is where he listed in the census of 1871. It appears that Simnitt moved away during the 1870s, probably at about the time when his father died, as he is not listed in the 1874 electoral roll, and he cannot be traced anywhere in Nottinghamshire in the 1881 census. Sometime after 1884 however he became an inmate of Sneinton Lunatic Asylum near Nottingham. His sister Matilda had been an inmate of the same asylum a number of years before for she is listed there in the census returns for 1861 and 1871 when she is stated as being a pipe trimmer (i.e. a worker who trimmed the seams of newly-moulded pipes). Simnitt died at the Asylum on 21st May 1889 aged 69 and was interred in Newark Cemetery, his occupation still being given as a pipe maker. From: Peter J Hammond, 'The Clay Tobacco-Pipe Making Industry of Newark', in Transactions of the Thoroton Society of Nottinghamshire, Vol. LXXXIX (1985), pp 103-4 We hope that this information may be of assistance. Yours sincerely Peter Lester Archivist Nottinghamshire Archives County House Castle Meadow Road Nottingham NG2 1AG Tel: 0115 - 958 1634 (Searchroom) Tel: 0115 - 950 4524 (Admin) Website: www.nottinghamshire.gov.uk/archives

lsimnitt

type: marriage; year: 1838; qtr.: Dec; county: Nottinghamshire; district: Newark; vol.: 15; page: 1057; entry no.: 165
    Notes
    Actual text: 1838. Marriage solemnized by certificate in the Parish of Newark in the County of Nottingham. when married: 13 Dec 1838; groom's name: Thomas SIMNITT; age: of full age; condition: Bachelor; profession: Pipe maker; residence at the time of marriage: Newark; Father's name: John Lyne SIMNITT; father's profession: Pipemaker / bride's name: Selina SOAR; age: of full age; condition: Spinster; occupation: (blank); residence at the time of marriage: Newark; Father's name: Thomas SOAR; father's profession: Lacemaker; witness 1: Ingram HAW; witness 2: Ann SOAR. Married in the Parish Church according to the Rites and Ceremonies of the Established Church, by T F Bufsells, Vicar. , Comment: The witnesses to this wedding are the sister of Selina and her future husband. Ann and Ingram would later get married.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast