Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    HiFly

Default Wrights of New Brunswick

Well having spent 2 months now collecting a lot of info WRIGHT families in NB from a wide variety of sources...and having established that 'my' Wright connection info is the scarce lot!!!!...

So if anyone has any info on the WRIGHT's of Westfield, Kings Co please get in touch..i.e. Solomon, William x 3, James (John), Phebe etc. Related families - Bookhout, Purdy, Akerley, White, Barnes & Ward.

If you are looking for info on any of the other WRIGHT's - do go ahead and ask me...I probably may have it!!!

HiFly

bwebster186

What is the time frame you are looking for? I did a quick search of the Westfield Cemetaries, but found no Wrights buried there. I also didn't find any Wrights in the 1851 census in Westfield Parish. Is your family there later than 1851?

HiFly

Quote Originally Posted by bwebster186 View Post
    What is the time frame you are looking for? I did a quick search of the Westfield Cemetaries, but found no Wrights buried there. I also didn't find any Wrights in the 1851 census in Westfield Parish. Is your family there later than 1851?
    No - my Wrights moved to Liverpool UK in 1847 - but continued living back and forth until late 1860's.

Since I originlly posted this request have managed to piece together quite lot and this has inevitably taken me to the brickwall of the American colonies...

HiFly

Mary Anne

HiFly

Have you seen Ruby Cusack's website? She's a New Brunswicker. I note she maintains this queries page on her website
    www.
    rubycusack.com/issue322.html
    Perhaps you could send her a query and someone would answer it for you.

There is an 1861 census, but of course, it is not online.

Have you tried looking in the Hutchison's directories? https://archives.gnb.ca/APPS/PrivRecs...PageLoad=Intro
    There is one for 1865-66 that has AKERLEYs in it...but not in King's Co.

Mary Anne

apurdy1658

Elizabeth Purdy born 1775 d/o Stephen 5 Purdy a Loyalist descended from Thomas 4, Thomas 3, John 2, Francis 1 Purdy of Fairfield CT, married Captain James Wright of New Brunswick who died in 1808. She married second to Samuel Holsted of Amherst Nova Scotia. I know of only one child, James Wright born about 1800 who married in 1822 Esther Barnes d/o Ezra Barnes and Esther Ward.
    They had children Susan, Phebe, Stephen, Bedford Boultenhouse (born 1830), Edwin Jesse (born 1831) and David Ebbett Wright. Edwin Jesse Wright married Susan Jane Barnes.

Your query mentions Westfield, Kings Co., which is up the water routes from St. John, and some distance from the Sackville New Brunswick area where the Barnes and Ward families lived, but Stephen 5 Purdy first settled at Lot 5, Lancaster, NB (St. John County Deeds, C-1:37, 39, 214 but his children show a tendency to migrate away. His daughter Elizabeth would have married at home and could well have married Capt Wright in Westfield area which was a Loyalist settlement. Stephen 5's brother Gilbert 5 Purdy lived at Westfield.
    The Barnes and Ward families were Sackville settlers prior to the American Revolution, being from New England about 1762.
    The name Bedford Boultenhouse is from Loyalist Bedford Boultenhouse who first landed at Digby/Annapolis Nova Scotia in 1784 and settled at Mt. Handley near today's Middleton N.S. where he had two daugthers by his first wife. His first wife seems to have died, as Bedford went about 1791 to Wallace N.S. and then to Sackville (Wood Point or Westcock more precisely) and although I have found no connection to either Ward or Barnes families at the time, Ezra Barnes and his wife began naming children after Bedford by about 1810. Bedford Boultenhouse I believe was from Hanover NJ, son of George who was a known Tory there... I have no proof yet. Bedford's daughter Mary Ann married James 6 Purdy son of Loyalist Henry 5 Purdy, my g-g-g-grandfather. Henry 5 Purdy was born in White Plains NY.
    I think that Capt James Wright may be of the same Wright family as that of Dr. Esther Clark Wright the author of books on Loyalists; you could maybe confirm that.

There were also Wrights across the Bay of Fundy in the Digby area after the Revolution who married Purdys but I know of no relation to the above James Wright, and Akerley, Barnes, and Ward are not Digby names.
    apurdy

HiFly

Hi APurdy - welcome to these forums and thanks for your info - much of which corresponds with what I have managed to research from here in the UK.

The Cpt James Wright you mention (and who married your Purdy line) was the younger brother of my GGGG/F Solomon Wright 1784-1849. Here's some info I have on him......

Solomon moved and settled in Saint John and married in Saint John, a Catherine Akerley born at Ossining, NY, d/o Obediah Akerley
    and Catherine VanTassel: family settled in Saint John.

Solomon and his brother James (John) were lessees of land in Kingston, New Brunswick in 1805 (Viz. folder 54, no. 39, Archives Department of the New Brunswick Museum).

Kings County Land Registry RS89. Book 1 page 340 seen on film 6227.
    Land Deed - sale of land by Solomon Wright and John Bookhout and his wife Pheobe. They (Solomon and Pheobe ) are children and heirs of William Wright, late of the parish of Westfield, Kings County - deceased. Lot # 11 on the west side of the Grand Bay. It had been granted to William. Date of sale 1808. William came to NB in 1783 as part of the Loyalists "First Fleet" and settled at Grand Bay in Westfield Parish, Kings County, New Brunswick

NB Land Grants List Vol 1/No 34: William Wright Lot 11 Epworth Park Westfield Kings Co. 200 acres June 14, 1784
    Source: MC300 Yrk-Sunbury Historical Society Collection, MS15/4, 1 page: see also MC3047 Donald P. Wright fonds, file MS2D, Item #5, 2 pages. Also granted 200 Acres #16 @ White Head, Long Reach, NB Source LGL Map #157

====

Going back to your Elizabeth Purdy I have her down as living from 1775 - 1857 and with the following additional siblings (non verified) to James 1800-1878 with Cpt James Wright:
    Willa Maria b~1810
    Charles b~1812
    Mary Ann 1814-1886 married 1831 @ Woodstock Parish a Peter Grant 1806-1886 of Carleton. s.o. Willam Grant of Albany, NY
    Jane b~1817 married 1833 George Grant 1810-1850 - younger brother to Peter (above).
    Thomas b~??

There is one other which I am not sure about - due to the birth year....on the other hand looking at various parts of my tree I know it did happen time and again!

Pheobe Eliza b 10 Feb 1796 d18 Sep 1860 married a John Porter 1793-1870 - and is said to have settled in Lower Jemseg, Queens County and had thirteen children.

Note that info on the children above is not sourced.

====
    On the children of Esther Barnes/James Wright I (nearly) match what you have:

For Bedford I have a birthdate of 11 May 1832 and for Jessie 22 May 1831 - I note that these do not tally with your YoB's?

I have Susannah marrying Martin Olts in 1844, Phebe Ann d1906 marrying a Robert James Smith 1818-1896, Bedford d1925 marrying a Charlotte O Williams 1822-1904 and with 2 known issue - James Ludlow & Winslow. David d 1916 married 1858 a Eliza Jane Heustis b~1836

I also noted that Susanna & Esther Barnes are related as Susanna is a niece to Esther via her younger brother George 1797-1863.

If you PM me your e-mail I'll send you through a GEDCOM file of what I have.

Regards - HiFly

HiFly

Thanks for that Mary Ann.
    I have been in touch with an Akerley/Ackerley descendant in St John NB - and I was pleased to be able to plug a little hole with my info on them.

I managed to get some info from Ruby a couple of years ago....the problem with my Wrights was that the more "famous" ones - around 14 of them - obscured the picture for quite a few years - but i was eventualy to piece the snippets together and help others in untangling a part of the NB Wright story.

apurdy1658

HiFly:
    Thanks for linking Capt James Wright with your knowledge base and expanding his family. I will contact you when I find out how (I presume PM means Private Message and I haven't looked into that yet).
    You give birthdate of 11 May 1832 for Bedford Boultenhouse Wright and a date for his brother Edwin Jesse Wright which agrees exactly with what I have. I had an estimate of 1830 for Bedford so I will believe your date. Mine was probably based on a census or a list that placed him ahead of Edwin. Certainly not something accurate or reliable.

When you say "I also noted that Susanna & Esther Barnes are related as Susanna is a niece to Esther via her younger brother George 1797-1863." I'm confused as to who Susanna is, as I don't see a reference in your message. I show a Susan Jane Barnes as a dau of George B. Barnes (born 8 Jan 1797 older brother of Esther Barnes) possibly born 1833 but I have a note that she may be confused with someone else: I show that the wife of Edwin Jesse Wright might be daughter of Ezra Barnes but I think this is a generation error on my part.
    Is this Susanna the same as Susan Jane Barnes, and is she the Susan Jane Barnes who married Ewin Jesse Wright? This would work.
    Donald P. 11 Wright of Plaistow, NH is a descendant of Edwin Jesse 8 Wright via Rev. Fenwick Clarendon 9 Wright (11 Nov 1862) and his wife Elizabeth Joanna Day, and Arthur Clarendon 10 Wright (17 Nov 1890 MA). Judging by these dates, Donald may have passed away by now. He contributed material to the Purdy genealogy.
    I show a daughter Eva as a granddaughter of Esther Barnes and James Wright, but I don't know from which son (it wasn't Edwin Jesse). Eva married Albert Hicks; she is called a "first cousin" of Fenwick Wright.

There are many open questions regarding the Loyalist Purdys of Westfield that I'm trying to answer, so as info comes in I'll watch for Wright.
    apurdy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast