Haggis

Default A naughty man...

My g-grandfather, an eminently respectable dentist, decamped to the USA from UK in 1881 after his first wife died - leaving six children aged 9-19 to fend for themselves. He set up a practice in Orange, NJ and married again. The New York Times, however, carried a brief notice that he committed suicide on 8 July 1889. There must surely have been an inquest? Can any of you guys please tell me how to obtain info on that - or indeed anything else about his sojourn Stateside.

His baptismal name was Henry George VANDERPANT. Just to complicate matters, however, the surname was sometimes shown as VAN DER PANT, and he often used the forename Lawrence (or some combination of the three).

I'd really appreciate any help.

bwarnerok

Smile death records

I'm amazed you found a newspaper that said it was suicide. Since you know where and when he died, request a death certificate from the state. Depending on what the circumstances they might or might not have done an autopsy, and I haven't a clue as to whether that info ends up on the death certificate or not. You might contact the county coroner's office in the town he died in, perhaps they still have records on file.

Back then, I imagine if somebody said he killed himself, it might have just been accepted as such and the living moved on with little to no investigation. Did he leave any relatives behind in the states when he died?

betsy

Haggis

Quote Originally Posted by bwarnerok
    Did he leave any relatives behind in the states when he died?
    betsy
    Thanks for your thoughts, Betsy! Yes, he married again, in Manhattan, but presently I am not aware of any issue of the marriage. His second wife was just 21yrs (he was 48yrs at the time). She was a Brit. All of which raises certain other questions ...

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

I believe this man is also my great grand father . My grand mother was one of his daughters Mildred. One of her siblings Harry Shiel Vanderpant was also an interesting man .

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Hello Rosegardens,

Welcome to British-Genealogy.

Unfortunately Haggis is no longer a member of the forum (as noted by the word 'guest' under their name) and we have no way of advising them of your post.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default Also my G-grandfather

Quote Originally Posted by Haggis View Post
    My g-grandfather, an eminently respectable dentist, decamped to the USA from UK in 1881 after his first wife died - leaving six children aged 9-19 to fend for themselves. He set up a practice in Orange, NJ and married again. The New York Times, however, carried a brief notice that he committed suicide on 8 July 1889. There must surely have been an inquest? Can any of you guys please tell me how to obtain info on that - or indeed anything else about his sojourn Stateside.

His baptismal name was Henry George VANDERPANT. Just to complicate matters, however, the surname was sometimes shown as VAN DER PANT, and he often used the forename Lawrence (or some combination of the three).

I'd really appreciate any help.
    I thought I was one of only two surviving G-grandchildren? And you don't sound like the other -John, My Grandfather Marmaduke Edward D'Alton Vanderpant changed his name and dropped the Vanderpant.

Welcome to the British Genealogy Forum.
    Did you notice the date on Haggis' message? That Haggis is no longer a member of the group (you can see that because they have the tag "guest" under their name, where yours says "newcomer". All of their data was removed from the system when they left.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default Other G - grandchildren,

Quote Originally Posted by ledal777 View Post
    I thought I was one of only two surviving G-grandchildren? And you don't sound like the other -John, My Grandfather Marmaduke Edward D'Alton Vanderpant changed his name and dropped the Vanderpant.
    At least one more apart from me, my sister is now 91.
    I think we must be the last two - haven't heard from John for a long time?
    Aubry Dalton had a daughter but she would be 100+? I have never met her, I beieve her name is/was Margaret, but I may be wrong