Thread: Douglas family

Bill Turner

Default Douglas family

Hi. I'm new to this forum and the reason I'm here is because I've been researching my g.grandfather, James Douglas. He was married in Wales 1869, and I've found him in the 1871 Census (Glamorganshire, Wales), 1881 Census (Durhamshire, England) and 1901 Census (Monmouthshire, Wales). All three census records only indicate he was born in Scotland. After much research, I think he may have been born in Kirkcudbrightshire 1848-1849, his parents being John and Mary. I found the 3 of them in the 1851 Census in Kirkbean. In my searching, I cannot find any of the family in Scotland (or in England or Wales) in the 1861 Census. Any ideas as to where they might have gone? Any help would be appreciated.

Bill

Julie Tyrell

Hi

Have you got these records (there wasn't one for James)
    Parents: John Douglas and Mary Anderson.

WILLIAM DOUGLAS
    Gender: Male Birth: 12 MAR 1855 Kirkbean, Kirkcudbright, Scotland

CHARLES DOUGLAS
    Gender: Male Birth: 31 MAR 1859 Kirkbean, Kirkcudbright, Scotland

JOSEPH DOUGLAS
    Gender: Male Birth: 12 JUN 1857 Kirkbean, Kirkcudbright, Scotland

JANE DOUGLAS
    Gender: Female Christening: 31 AUG 1845 Kirkbean, Kirkcudbright, Scotland

JANET DOUGLAS
    Gender: Female Christening: 06 JUN 1847 Kirkbean, Kirkcudbright, Scotland

I will keep digging Julie

Julie Tyrell

Have you been able to trace his parents on the 1871+ censuses and their deaths?

Julie

Bill Turner

Default Douglas family

Thanks very much for your reply, Julie. In the 1851 Census, John and Mary Douglas were both shown as 30 years old, and their family included Jane age 6, Janet age 4, James age 2, and Ann age 1 month. Both Jane and Janet fit with the records you listed. I have searched the 1871 Scottish Census index, the 1871 Ancestry United Kingdom census index, and the 1881 FamilySearch LDS index, and cannot find any matches for the family. I've also checked under Mary Douglas and haven't found them. I may have found Ann, listed as Annie Douglas age 10, in 1861 in Kirkcudbrightshire on the 1861 Census, living with an Aunt and Uncle. You would think with their son Charles having been born in 1859, they would still be in the shire. I've looked on the Scotlands People statutory deaths index for John Douglas and didn't find any matches for John born between 1810 and 1830. I suppose it is a possibility that part or most of the family immigrated somewhere. Any other things you can think of?

Bill
    Last edited by Guest; 19-08-2007 at 7:14 PM.