Thread: Pinkney family

Maeve

Default Pinkney family

Is anyone researching the Pinkney family, in and around the Hull, Whitby and coastal areas? Also in Leeds Yorkshire. I have just started researching this branch of the family and have scant information. I would like to hear from anyone connected to the family. Regards Maeve

Jan65

Default Re: Pinkney family

Hi Maeve

I believe I may be connected to the Pinkney family from around the north east coast and would be interested in swapping information with you.

My 4 x great grandfather, James Woodcock, a ship's captain who died in 1843 in Stockton on Tees, was married to a Mary whose surname I believe was Pinkney.

Unfortunately I have nothing to corroborate this other than a Mary Woodcock of the right age (b about 1784) was in the same household as a Mary Pinkney in Whitby in the 1841 census. I think this Mary Pinkney was Mary Woodcock's mother but of course the relationship wasn't shown in 1841 so this was purely a guess on my part.

However, I then found on the IGI a marriage of a Mary Pinkney to a James Woodcock in 1810 at Bishopwearmouth. If this is the right couple, I believe that they had at least two children, Jane Woodcock b 1811, and Robert b 1821, both at Whitby. Jane Woodcock was my 3 x great grandmother.

I would be interested to know of any information you may have on the Pinkneys! I believe that my Mary Woodcock nee Pinkney was born in Robin Hood's Bay (from the 1851 census where she lived around the corner from her married daughter Jane at Stockton), and indeed I have found on the IGI a baptism in 1784 at Fylingdales which seems to fit. On this baptism, the parents of Mary were given as Mary and David Pinkney. Again, this fits with the Mary Woodcock living with a Mary Pinkney in 1841 who I presumed was her mother.

Does all this make sense?! Most of this is from memory, so please forgive me if I've made any mistakes!

Hope to hear from you soon.

Janice

LBeattie

Default Pinkney

Hello,
    I'm not sure how common the Pinkney name is,but a John Pinkney born in 1841 at East Ackerman,Yorks married an Elizabeth Hunt(born 1838 in Eastrington) about 1861. In 1871 they lived in Flaxton township York. They could be found in York for years to come. I wish I knew more about him,but for now that is it. Elizabeth was my many great aunt. We are still in the process of finding out all about the family.Wish I had more.
    Linda

Hello,

My Grandma is a Pinkney. I believe she was born in Bridlington which is on the east coast and she now resides just outside. That is where my Mum and Uncles grew up. I don’t know much about the line but I do know my mum and grandma lived in field house in Bridlington which is now the Hospital. My Auntie now deceased lived in Haisthorpe Hall who was called Ingrid. Pinkney is my Mother’s side and I am interested to know more.

Hope to hear from you soon

Rosie
    Last edited by Pam Downes; 13-06-2021 at 11:53 PM. Reason: Name of living person deleted in accordance with our T&Cs.

Hi Rosie, Welcome to the British Genealogy Forums.

Do you know if Ingrid's father was called Ingram?

Hull Daily Mail has this obituary notice for Ingrid Simpson (nee Pinkney)21st April 2009 age 65 yrs, wife of John, dau of the late Kathleen and Ingram Pinkney, internment at the Priory Church, Bridlington.

Ah, yes, the above does seem to be your aunt as Ingrid Simpson lived at Haisthorpe Hall. I found reference to a painting 'Painted for Ingrid Simpson, Haisthorpe Hall, East Yorkshire, September 1988'.
    Alma

I have to leave it for now. Maybe another B-G member will do some searching.

I think Ingram's full name was Lloyd Ingram Pinkney. I did find a newspaper article regarding a tragic motor accident in which LIP's sister was killed (sorry I don't have time now to transcribe the article)
    Alma

Interested in Lloyd Ingram Pinkney. How many children did he have.i know about Judith Ingrid Pinkney born 1944. Were there other children and are you related?

Welcome to the Brit-Gen forums
    Unfortunately the original poster is no longer a member of Brit-Gen. Those with the word 'Guest'under their avator have left the forum. The other poster are still members and should receive notice of your post if they have ticked this option.
    Meanwhile is your Lloyd Ingram Pinkey the one who married in 1936 Bridlington registration district to a Kathleen Jackson? Unfortunately the GRO index online does not give access to birth records from 1934 to 1984 but FreeBMD does. However there are 17 births of children Pinkey with mother's maiden name Jackson between 1936 and 1985. None of them inthe Bridlington registration disrict. Between 1930 and 1981 there were 4 male Pinkneys marrying a Jackson bride. The later ones we can discount but there is a William H Pinkney marrying an Agnes M Jackson reg dist Chester le Street in June1/4 1936. No way of telling which children belong to which couple by the re district as there are a few in Co Durham as well as lanchester and Buckrose.
    Lloyd and his wife Kathleen are on the 1939 register but they are the only ones at that address. No children listed or any redacted entries.
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Having looked on FreeBMD with the birth registration district Buckrose which is where Judith's birth was registered there is another female registered in 1940, a male 1944 March 1/4 , female Sept 1944, female 1947. You can look them up on FreeBMD and see if you recognise any of the names. The two births registered in 1944 could be the same parents if the March 1/4 was born in vey early January and the Sept 1/4 birth was born late Sept and registered immediately.
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs