Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Harfink

Talking Civil Servant (Mauritius) in the 1800's

I am trying to help my sister-in-law with some of her family history.

I found her grandfather's marriage (Valmont Marie Joseph ATKINSON to Lydia Elizabeth COSTA on 16 Sep 1905) in At Peter & Pauls Catholic Church Romford.
    The marriage cert shows him as being a "Drapery warehouseman", living in Ilford and that his father was John Greenwood ATKINSON a Retired Civil Servant. His brother, John Walwin ATKINSON was a witness.

I also identified the brothers marriage entry on 5 April 1988 in Corpus Christi Catholic Church in Lambeth to Charlotte ASHFORD. His father in 1888 is shown as Clerk Civil Service (bit of a letdown from a senior diplomat!!)

I have 1881 census entry for John W in a Drapers' boarding house in Bermondsey.

Both brothers were born in Mauritius where the John Greenwood ATKINSON was supposed to be (family legend!!) a senior diplomat.

Eventually we received birth certificate copies for both brothers from Mauritius John W was born 18 August 1863 (mother Louisa Anne PITREL) and Valmont M J on 1 March 1875 (mother Alic Jeanine FAUCHEUR).

The Mauritius authorities say they have found no records of any marriage of the father or of his death.

Puzzling aspects:
    a) Both brothers started off as "Drapers" after arriving in the UK as young men; is there some family connection / association?
    b) All the Atkinsons have "uncommon" yet different given names; why?
    c) I cannot trace on freeBMD any marriage or death entry for the father
    4) I cannot trace any birth entry on the miscellaneous lists at 1837online for either boys birth
    5) I have done a search of the National Archives and haven't found any reference that could apply to the father and civil service
    6) A very helpful man looked in Royal Kalendars of 1862 and 1878 and couldn't find John G in a Mauriitius listing

Anyone got any ideas on a next step? I think a visit to Kew may be inevitable

Harfink

Does anybody have any bright ideas or suggestions?

Geoffers

Quote Originally Posted by Harfink
    His father in 1888 is shown as Clerk Civil Service (bit of a letdown from a senior diplomat!!)......Both brothers were born in Mauritius where the John Greenwood ATKINSON was supposed to be (family legend!!) a senior diplomat.

Family tales often get twisted in the telling, I feel you are right about a visit to Kew, but would suggest that you browse their reserch guides first, e.g.

https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/c...sLeafletID=358

Geoffers

Harfink

Thanks for that. I had actually looked through that leaflet, as a search of the Archives catalogue using his name (John Greenwood Atkinson) produced nothiong meaningful. I'm still intrigued as to where he disappeared to; I can only presume he did return to the UK as the Mauritius authorities could not trace a death entry for him. In 1905 he was described as "Civil Servant Retired" when his younger son got married. Funny that the father and two sons had "unusual" second given names.

Have just found this thread following Bo Peep's housekeeping splurge.

Have you considered the East India Company? I have been transcribing extracts from the South African Commercial Advertiser (too early for your man) and on numerous occasions BMD entries refer to people in the 'Honourable East India Company Civil Service' as well as people born in Mauritius en route to or from India. Just a thought.
    Sue Mackay
    Insanity is hereditary - you get it from your kids

jackie73

just seen your request on this site and thought you might be interested in my bit of info, hope it will be useful to you.
    I am married to the great great grandson of hannah louisa atkinson, she was married to John Mackie McKerns and they had six children, she passed away in 1894 and he went onto live with her sister christiana. My husbands great grandfather is Edward Valmout McKerns he married Lydia Rogerson and had 1 son called Louis, he went on to marry Nellie Gowers and they had two sons. John Mackie moved to Canada along with three of his married sons and he passed away out there in his 80's

harfin

Default John Greenwood Atkinson

Jackie

I have sent you an email via the forum's facility.
    I look forward to hearing from you again.

Kind regards
    Alan

Karl Mulnier

Default great grand son of Alice Jeannine Faucheur

I am the great grand son of Alice Jeanine FAUCHEUR. She was the wife of John Greenwood Atkinson she was than a widow and had been married before to Max Mulnier about 1868 and they had a son, his name was Karl Mulnier, and he was my grand father. Max Mulnier died when his son Karl was 19 month old. and his former wife married Mr Atkinson.
    I was born in Mauritius on the 19th april 1928

please contact me : nojewo(at)hotmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by Harfink View Post
    I am trying to help my sister-in-law with some of her family history.

I found her grandfather's marriage (Valmont Marie Joseph ATKINSON to Lydia Elizabeth COSTA on 16 Sep 1905) in At Peter & Pauls Catholic Church Romford.
    The marriage cert shows him as being a "Drapery warehouseman", living in Ilford and that his father was John Greenwood ATKINSON a Retired Civil Servant. His brother, John Walwin ATKINSON was a witness.

I also identified the brothers marriage entry on 5 April 1988 in Corpus Christi Catholic Church in Lambeth to Charlotte ASHFORD. His father in 1888 is shown as Clerk Civil Service (bit of a letdown from a senior diplomat!!)

I have 1881 census entry for John W in a Drapers' boarding house in Bermondsey.

Both brothers were born in Mauritius where the John Greenwood ATKINSON was supposed to be (family legend!!) a senior diplomat.

Eventually we received birth certificate copies for both brothers from Mauritius John W was born 18 August 1863 (mother Louisa Anne PITREL) and Valmont M J on 1 March 1875 (mother Alic Jeanine FAUCHEUR).

The Mauritius authorities say they have found no records of any marriage of the father or of his death.

Puzzling aspects:
    a) Both brothers started off as "Drapers" after arriving in the UK as young men; is there some family connection / association?
    b) All the Atkinsons have "uncommon" yet different given names; why?
    c) I cannot trace on freeBMD any marriage or death entry for the father
    4) I cannot trace any birth entry on the miscellaneous lists at 1837online for either boys birth
    5) I have done a search of the National Archives and haven't found any reference that could apply to the father and civil service
    6) A very helpful man looked in Royal Kalendars of 1862 and 1878 and couldn't find John G in a Mauriitius listing

Karl Mulnier

for your information, my daughter and I are both on facebook : Axelle Mulnier and Karl Mulnier. please contact us!!! thanks, cheers

harfin

Default John Greenwood Atkinson

Thanks so much for the contact. I have sent you a direct message.
    Kind regards
    Alan

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast