Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    sarahtrems

Default Howe Green, Essex

Hi. I wonder if anyone can help me? We've just moved into a new (built 1750!) house on the old Southend Road in Howe Green. The house was, as I say, built in 1750 as a farm. The title deeds state the name of the farm as Howe Green Farm, but somewhere along the line (before 1930) the name was changed to Howe Farm. My reason for posting here is that I would love to try and research the history of our house. I have found on the Essex Records website a record which relates to the sale of the farm as it still was then in 1930 which comprised the farm, approximately 52 acres of arable and grazing land, various outbuildings, 2 cottages (which are now privately owned opposite the farm) and another 4 acres of land on the opposite side of the road which was known as Poplars (there is a large house on this site now). Sadly sometime after 1930 the farm land was broken up and presumably sold off - our immediate next door neighbours house is probably no more than 10 years old and was obviously built on land previously belonging to the farm. Unfortunately our Deeds only show the previous 2 owners and I am desperate to try and find any further information and in particular old photos/drawings of the house.

If anyone can help I would be extremely grateful.

Many thanks
    Sarah

GeoffD

I have found that the people of the Howe Green Community Association https://www.hgca.org.uk/ are very tolerant of people asking strange questions 'out of the blue'. I asked one from all the way over here in Australia, and they responded very promptly, so it should be even better for a new 'local'.

Brick wall demolition expert! ChristineR's Avatar

Using the census, you will be able to find out who was living there every 10 years from 1841 - 1901, sometimes the size of the farm will be indicated and how many were employed, as well as the names of any persons living there as servants or workers.

Christine

Mythology

In addition to the Howe Green Community Association the obvious thing to do, especially as you are so close, is to visit Essex Record Office.

In parish terms, Howe Green is Sandon. The ERO code for Sandon parish records (not just registers) is D/P 253. Typing that into the "document reference" box on the ERO site gave me 178 hits.

Obviously, a lot of these are outside the period of interest, but there is, for example, the 1837 Tithe Map (D/P 253/27/1), which is definitely something you should look at.

There are the early census returns (D/P 253/18/5). These local census returns vary enormously, but I see from the description that "1811 shows name of each family, how many houses occupied, how many families, how many families employed in agriculture, trade and otherwise and total number of males and females in each house" so that one is certainly worth a look.

There are all sorts of things in which a reference to a Mr. Whoever of Howe Farm might appear - for example, Vestry Minutes 1751-1858 (D/P 253/8/2).

All these documents are catalogued - but they are not indexed by personal names or property names. The only way you find out whether there is anything relevant to your quest in them is by actually going there, asking the advice of the staff as to which they suggest that you start with, and having a darned good rummage.

Reputation beyond repute

You may find some tips here -

https://www.hiddenhousehistory.co.uk/

and also details of the TV series starting in September (on The History Channel).

You may find some of the links on the site useful.

A trip to your local library to look out a book on how to do it might also be helpful.

sarahtrems

Smile

Thanks so much for all of your great advice and tips !! Now that I've got a few starting points I can't wait to get going ! I definitely think a trip to the Essex Records Office will be on the cards soon.

Thank you all once again !

Sarah

Linda

I thought, for a moment, that you meant Howe Green in the Purleigh area, where some of my ancestors lived. Having done a quick search on the ERO SEAX web site I came across a Deed dated 1860

"Abolute surrender of William FRANKLIN of HOWE GREEN, Purleigh, wheelwright, to Harriet FRANKLIN of Pureligh, spr."

Oh! I had Franklins living in the area at that time, maybe William is "mine"!

So Sarah, thanks for asking the question! I might never have discovered that little tidbit of info.

Going back to SEAX to do a bit more rummaging

sarahtrems

Hi Linda

I glad my question has turned up a bit more information for you - hopefully William will be one of your ancestors and you will have filled in a little link in what I am sure is a very long chain !!

Good luck !

Sarah

GeoffD

1891 Census - Sandon RG12/1389 p.11 f.109
    Howe Farm
    Evan Raven, Head, Single, 58, Farmer, Employer, Little Baddow
    Edwin Raven, do, Single, 48, do, Employer, do
    Elizabeth do, Mother, Widow, 93,-, Stow Maries
    Alice Turner, Niece, Single, 36, Domestic House Keeper, Employed, Little Waltham(?)

In 1881, this Raven family was occupying Grove Farm. Howe Farm House was enumerated as Uninhabited in 1881.

In 1871 Sandon Parish, no Howe Farm mentioned.
    Last edited by GeoffD; 01-08-2006 at 4:52 AM.

Mythology

"In 1871 Sandon Parish, no Howe Farm mentioned."
    That's odd - I remember seeing it on the 1861.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast