bdeaville

Question Deaville ancestors

I have traced our deaville tree back to Isaac born in 1759 in Cheadle, he was father to Thomas and Mary. I have a hunch that the Deaville family name does not go much further back than this, however I may be completely wrong about this, does anyone have any more information?

Ben

uksearch

Quote Originally Posted by bdeaville
    I have traced our deaville tree back to Isaac born in 1759 in Cheadle, he was father to Thomas and Mary. I have a hunch that the Deaville family name does not go much further back than this, however I may be completely wrong about this, does anyone have any more information?

Ben
    How do you know where he was born? Do you have his baptismal details?

UK

bdeaville

Lightbulb Deaville ancestors

Hi UK. Thank you for your interest. Actually the information comes from the register of deaths, he died 01/03/1836, in Stockport, this is the only information that I have about him. There appear to be a very limited number of Deavilles mostly in Cheshire, Derbyshire and Staffordshire, I feel that the name must originate in this area possibly in the 17th or 18th century.

Ben

AnnB

Have you considered the various ways the surname could have been spellt? I could come up with a fair number of variations - Deavil(l)(e), Devil(l)(e), Deveal(l)(e), even Devil! - to name but a few

Best wishes
    Ann

bdeaville

Wink Deaville ancestors

Yes Ann, I am sure that the name evolved from one of it's variants, it is the moment of variation that I am keen to find. With the name being so concentrated in Derbyshire, Staffordshire and Cheshire there has to be a possibility that all the Deavilles are directly related and have an identifiable common ancestor, which would be quite cool! Ben

uksearch

Hi UK. Thank you for your interest. Actually the information comes from the register of deaths, he died 01/03/1836, in Stockport, this is the only information that I have about him. There appear to be a very limited number of Deavilles mostly in Cheshire, Derbyshire and Staffordshire, I feel that the name must originate in this area possibly in the 17th or 18th century.

Ben
    I take that you mean the information came from St Mary's, Stockport PRs. He certainly was not baptised in St Mary's Cheadle in 1759.

UK

bdeaville

Smile Deaville ancestors

Hi UK. Thank you for that. I wonder if it is cheadle staffs...are the parish records that you have checked just available in Manchester Library? Ben

uksearch

Hi UK. Thank you for that. I wonder if it is cheadle staffs...are the parish records that you have checked just available in Manchester Library? Ben
    Anything is possible, but I think it unlikely. Stockport and Cheadle PRs will also be at Stockport Central Library. I think that buses between Stockport and Derby are fairly frequent. The PRs will also be at Cheshire Records Office and through the LDS.

UK

Starting to feel at home

Hi Ben
    I am related to a Deaville family from Stoke on Trent. My Great Grandfather was Richmond Deaville born in 1882 his father was James Deaville born 1847 in Bagnall Staffs. His mother was Mary Deaville but no father identified on birth certificate. There are some thoughts that the Deaville ' s came over from France
    Debbie