alan.jones

Default "Small & Welsh" tailoring business Scone, Perthshire - Completed

I am looking for any info about the above business probably in New Scone rather than Perth e.g. street location or other references. Business operated in early 20th century. Edwin WELSH was my grandfather, and he was in partnership with ...... SMALL as Tailors.

Any ideas where to look please?

Alan
    N.Z.
    Last edited by alan.jones; 10-09-2006 at 1:09 AM.

Isabel H

Default re Small & Welsh

Local directories for 1882-1900 show Small & Welsh tailors & clothiers at 8 Gowrie St, Bridgend, Perth, on the opposite side of the R. Tay from the centre of Perth, on the way to Scone. From 1901-1920 they are at 67 George St, Perth; house: Gowanbrae, Queen's Rd, Scone. 8 Gowrie St is listed as their workshop in 1905-06. By 1921-22 the firm has become Small & Dewar, tailors, still at 67 George St.
    Also listed from 1899 are Small & Welsh, plumbers, gasfitters and zincworkers at 59 South St, Perth.
    I took the liberty of transcribing the 1901 census entry for Gowanbrae. Both Small & Welsh families were living there. James Welsh (48) tailor & employer; his wife Jane Steel Welsh (53); son David (19), a plumber; dau. Margaret Jane (16), a dressmaker - both workers; Edwin (14),a scholar.
    William Small (46), also a tailor & employer; his wife Jemima Small(40); sons John(12) & James (10), both scholars; and dau. Anna (2). All were born in Perthshire,Scone, except for Jane Steel Welsh & David Welsh who were both born in Forfarshire, Arbroath.
    Best wishes
    Isabel

alan.jones

Default Small & Welsh

Hi Isabel,
    I am very grateful for the information you provided. It is exactly what I was seeking. Your work is very much appreciated. Thanks.
    Alan
    N.Z.

Isabel H

Default More re Small & Welsh

The Edinburgh Gazette 11th July 1913 carries a notice of dissolution of the firm.

Regards
    Isabel

maclelau

Default Small & Welsh

Thank you for the details below. William Small was my Great, Great Grandfathers brother. This thread has helped me piece together his story.