astrotraveller

Default British subject-born in France-lived in Jersey??

Hi
    I have a GG Grandfather born in France according to census sheets (BS) which I take to be British Subject.
    His name is Auguste Samson bap 27/6/1823 in St Helier, born 1823 Binic, France.
    His father was Jacques Dominique Samson who died in Jersey in 1842. Thats all I know. I can trace forward ok but not back.
    Can anyone help please, I don't speak or write french so I'm stuck.
    thank you
    Jean

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Quote Originally Posted by astrotraveller
    Hi
    I don't speak or write french so I'm stuck.
    Hi Jean,
    That is going to be a slight problem
    I haven't a clue about French research either but for any strange place I'd start with www.cyndislist.org
    That's where I found
    https://tinyurl.com/94hpj (written in English)
    The good news is that not being familiar with French might not be a problem as according to the 'Information recorded in church registers' section of the latter URL
    "Catholic records are usually written in French or Latin. Protestant records in Alsace were often written in German. Some records from the area of Nice are in Italian." (Though I fully admit that my reaction would be )
    Seriously, I would find out if it's likely that records for Binic and its area exist, then I would worry about the language difficulty. It could be that just a few basic words/phrases are all you need for most of the time.
    Good luck.
    Pam