Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    dave tomlinson

Default Burnetts of Grindon

In the Grindon parish records Mary Burnett was Christened on the 28th Sept 1812.Her parents were James and Elizabeth Burnett of Ford Mill.In the 1841 & 1851 census there are 2 James and Elizabeth Burnetts .Can anyone help work out which are Marys parents.
    Many thanks.

louise renfrey

Hi dave - its the nightmare situation!!!! Few ideas you may or may have not tried - what was the occupation given for Marys father? Any census match for one? Did the bap records show any more children for parents? Did Mary or any of them marry after 1837 and there would be a cert? Are both lots on later 1861 census - sometimes children took in parents when old? Were there any headstones on parents graves- may have had children buried with them? Need to establish if both lots were there in 1812 or if one pair moved in by 1841 census. Pour yourself a strong g & t!!!!! ... could work but will def. make you feel better. Bear in mind, if no one else replies, that you have gone back practically 200 years and thats really good. Sometimes there is not enough of a papertrail to go further. IDEA - is there a marriage record on same church records for the parents - sometimes even the banns carry extra bits which may help. Its so frustrating when this happens - you want to get back as far as possible and you are thwarted. Dont know if any of the above is of use but at least someone has been thinking of you in your hour of need. Good luck!!!!
    Last edited by louise renfrey; 02-07-2006 at 6:44 PM. Reason: idea!!!

louise renfrey

Part 2 - have just gone into 1851 census and can only see one viable James - born 1786 and Elizabeth 1787. Obviously dont have all your data available but all the others listed are too young to have had Mary. Looks like quite a big cheese!!!! Any good??????? Bap records with their dates may rule one pair out - you may only need one other sibling to establish which line for sure. There are quite a few other names in each household re census and this may be all you need. If you cannot get difference with age, occupation or address on certs or bap details/patterns or headstones I dont think you'll be able to go further. sorry I've been so long winded. regards.
    Last edited by louise renfrey; 02-07-2006 at 8:16 PM. Reason: extra

dave tomlinson

Default G&T

Hi louisa
    Thanks for your comprehensive response ......the G&T sounds a great idea , I will take a little time to go through your messages and advice and work out my plan of action.Many thanks for all your efforts.
    David

louise renfrey

Smile

thanks, David! Sorry it went on, but it aint easy. I had the same with a name of Bate in Wrenbury, Cheshire. Loads and a real pig. Think the heat got to the old brain but just tried to give you a few avenues- if you are in the middle of it it can be hard to see a way forward. I hope you feel you can go back a bit further, but every step when you rely on parish records is really really hard and every name back/sibling is a real bonus. Some are in Latin which just provides that added twist! Hows your Latin? Found the familysearch/mormon site quite good though I know some aint keen. It helped me loads though. Very best of luck and please just enjoy the tree you have if you cannot go further - I'm sure you have learned loads and gained lots of generations. Very best of luck - CHEERS!!!!!!!! ps saw your question when i logged on as i had got no replies to my Tutbury query - nothing worse than no replies......pps have just looked on family search - there is a marriage dated 18.9.1809 grindon, and a James burnett bap 21.5.1785, parents wm burnett and Mary. Happy hunting!!
    Last edited by louise renfrey; 02-07-2006 at 10:00 PM. Reason: igi update

janbooth

Default James BURNETT

Dave,

One way might be to order Mary's marriage certificate online and see where she was resident at the time of her marriage. The marriage is shown on GRO Index as registered in the Dec quarter of 1839 at Leek reg district, vol 17, page 67. In both the 1851 & 1861 census records of Grindon, Mary SMITH is living next door to the James BURNETT who was born in Onecote, which may be an indication of her parentage but that is a bit speculative.

Janet.

dave tomlinson

Default Mary Burnett

Janet
    No luck with the marriage cert. it just says residence 'Grindon'.Thanks for the census clue,did you notice the 2 James and Elizabeth Burnetts on the same page? Must be a very close family. Thanks for your time
    Dave.

dave tomlinson

Default mary burnett

Louisa
    I have seen the 1809 details on family search , hopefully I can travel to Stafford archives and see the church records in the not to distant future.That might shed some more light. Did you see my last reply about the 1861 census? Mary and the 2 James and Elizabeth's on the same census page.....I feel like i'm trying to create a jigsaw from 2 piles of mixed up pieces.Anyway I will keep looking ,thanks for your positive and upbeat response ,all the best with your searches.

louise renfrey

Talking

If you read it in a novel you'd say it could never happen!!! Both on the same page too!!!! Have had a look at census - both on 1841, can only see one on 1851, then two on 1861 with one set born in Onecote if I've got the right ones!!!Just looked at map - they are not far away either!! Oh David!!!!! Do you think that both James' fathers were brothers???? In that case you could end up doing either and then getting back to the same male line!!!! Just a thought (not much of one) but some crumb of consolation..... Both lots have children (according to 1861 census) born in Grindon around 1817 ie sarah and James - maybe bap records with their dates will rule one set in or out/ 9mths etc. Try to keep your sense of humour, though I can see you are really up against it!!!!! kindest regards louise. ps do update this once you have been to records office - I am sure folk will want to know how this turns out!!!!!

janbooth

Default BURNETTs of Grindon

Hi again Dave,

Yes, I did notice that in the 1861 all the suspects(!!) were on the same page, but in the 1851 the James from Onecote was next door to your Mary. I think the best hope you have of solving your puzzle is to go to Staffs RO and trawl through the parish registers to see if you can pick up any clues. If there are any MIs of Grindon that might help as well. Good luck.

Janet

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast