Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    GeoffD

Default Darenth Asylum Burials

Would any of you good people happen to know if the Darenth Asylum had its own cemetery? Nothing I have been able to find (so far) indicates that it did (or did not). I have a Philip DREW as an 'imbecile' patient of the Asylum in 1891 census, and a death recorded in March quarter 1894, aged 10, in Dartford district (Vol 2a p.336). From family sources, I am assuming (for the time being) that his parents - John DREW and Mary (WATKINS) might not have claimed his body for burial.

Any clues as to where I might find this out? I have looked though the on-line transcribed inscriptions from Dartford and Darenth, but this was probably a futile effort because the likelihood of his being buried as a pauper or somesuch.

Thanks in advance

Reputation beyond repute

I would have thought you'd need the death certificate before trying to take it any further.

GeoffD

I am presently putting together a list of birth & death certificates to order - bit of a rigmarole when you have to do it from across the world.

Really, just wondering whether such a large institution (1000 places at the Asylum alone, plus the school) might have had its own cemetery.

Reputation beyond repute

The archives catalogue for Darenth parish includes a cryptic reference to
    "correspondence, facsilime declarations and facsimile site plans pertaining to darenth Park Hospital (formerly Metropolitan asylum District darenth Industrial Colony) Chapel and graveyards, [1878-1917] 1994 (1 folder)"

ref: 06a_DE_SERIES_1001_1250/ DE1031

That was cut and pasted - the typos are theirs!

The Hospitals Record Database doesn't mention deaths or burials for this institution. It does include the admission and discharge register for 1891-1927. Records are at the LMA.

It also says "See also St Olave's/Bermondsey Board of Guardians B.B.G., St Pancras Board of Guardians St P.B.G., Metropolitan Asylums Board, London County Council Asylums Committee 1889 - 1914, Asylums and Mental Deficiency Committee 1914 - 1922, Mental Hospitals Committee 1922 - 1948. Brief Guide: Hospital and Charity Annual Reports."

GeoffD

Thanks for that, Peter. As far as I can work out, poor little Philip would have been admitted between 1883 (birth) and 1887 (birth of his only living sibling) or thereabouts. From family oral history, said sibling knew she had a brother, but no details as to whereabouts or fate. The oldest sibling died 1887. Not a lot of luck with children, this family.

Anyway, I will persevere with my search. This is one of those family mysteries that just begs solving!

---------------
    Some time later: That Medway CityArk website, even though full of the most wonderful information, would have to be one of the most cumbersome sites to navigate I have come across in recent times!
    Last edited by GeoffD; 17-06-2006 at 10:12 AM.

Mutley

I was looking for something else in the Dartford area and remembered your thread. Don't know if these sites are any good to you.

https://www.institutions.org.uk/asylu...nt_asylums.htm
    https://www.workhouses.org.uk/index.h...-Darenth.shtml
    https://www.dartford.gov.uk/cemetery/index.htm

I think the new Darenth Park Hospital is built on the site of the old asylum. They may have some historical records.

Best wishes, Mutley

Kate Holloway

I believe that Darenth Asylum had its own cemetery as I was told my relation, who died of small pox on the Castalia, was buried there. It is possible that nothing remains of it now and apparently the burial book has been lost.

Adi1962

It might be worth contacting the Dartford museum (next to the library) as they may have some of the records.

Ed Bradford

Default Certificate ordering from afar

Quote Originally Posted by GeoffD
    I am presently putting together a list of birth & death certificates to order - bit of a rigmarole when you have to do it from across the world.
    GeoffD, I assume that you know about ordering certificates from the GRO through the Internet. If not, go to the following.

https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/

You'll need a credit card to accomplish it. They make it so easy that I spend my monthly allowance the first day of the month. It normally takes about a week and a half to two weeks for the certificate to arrive.

..............Ed

GeoffD

Thanks to everyone who contributed. I have just received a personal message from someone who worked at the Darenth Hospital just before it closed down. She has actually visited the cemetery, and the only graves with headstones are the 'important' people. Thank you very much, Lois, for making the effort to get in touch with me.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast