Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    bigteddy

Default importaont people?

i am new to this but i regualy vist the gaveyards at the old darenth park hospital site and there are a lot of garve stones there with very random ages and dates on them just to be the important people? i will have a GOOD look at all of them for you because the name drew realy rang a bell!

gillylewis

Default Re Solomon Shafner

Hello Geoff,
    I know this is an old thread, nonetheless, I wondered if you had any luck with your research into Darenth Asylm, Dartford, Kent. My great uncle, Solomon Shafner was a resident there at the age of fiveteen according to the 1881 census. I have been trying to find a record of his death. Unless I have a date, I cannot get a death certificate. However I have made a note of all the responses on this thread. Hope to hear from you. Best regards. Gilly

gillylewis

Hi Bigteddy, If you happened to visit the old Darenth graveyard again, would you mind looking to see if there is a gravestone for a Solomon Shafner. He was my great uncle and was a resident at the age of fiveteen at the assylm in 1881. Hope this is possible? many, many thanks in advance. Gilly

Jan1954

Quote Originally Posted by gillylewis View Post
    My great uncle, Solomon Shafner was a resident there at the age of fiveteen according to the 1881 census. I have been trying to find a record of his death.
    This looks like him:
    June quarter 1887, Dartford Registration district, volume 2a, page 256, in the name of Solomon SHAFFER (please note spelling of surname) and aged 21.

Quote Originally Posted by gillylewis View Post
    Unless I have a date, I cannot get a death certificate.
    Yes you can. Go to the GRO website and, when it asks of you have the reference, tick the "yes" box and, when asked, quote the reference above.

However, before you do, please check the reference on FreeBMD by clicking on the spectacles symbol at the side of the entry to see the original record.

Reputation beyond repute

The MIs of the old Darenth Park Hospital graveyard were published in the journal North West Kent Family History, vol. 1, no. 7, July 1980. The Society of Genealogists library has a copy.

gillylewis

Quote Originally Posted by Jan1954 View Post
    This looks like him:
    June quarter 1887, Dartford Registration district, volume 2a, page 256, in the name of Solomon SHAFFER (please note spelling of surname) and aged 21.

Yes you can. Go to the GRO website and, when it asks of you have the reference, tick the "yes" box and, when asked, quote the reference above.

However, before you do, please check the reference on FreeBMD by clicking on the spectacles symbol at the side of the entry to see the original record.
    Hi Peter, Thank you very much. I had tried FreeBMD but I didn't know the year of Solomon's death. I cannot recall seeing a Solomon Shaffer, must of overlooked it. I should have gone to 'speck savers'. It is spelt correctly on the entry, so it is correct.
    Once again thank you.
    Gilly

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default Richard John Venus staff member (head cowman)

Hi,

This is my first post on this site.

My great grandad died in 1919 from tuberculosis , at the time of his death he had the work title of Head Cowman on the darenth industrial colony. He lived at number 10 darenth industrial colony cottages.

His place of rest eludes me! I have a feeling that he may have been buried on site!

If anybody finds themselves doing a walk through the graveyard can you please keep an eye out for the name please (Richard John Venus)

Thank you

Martin Venus

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Hi ,

I decided to have a walk through both cemeteries on site and have taken some names from the headstones

They are as follows:-

New graveyard 1918 onwards

HILDA LAWRANCE 1909-1973
    MARY FLOWERS 1900-1974
    ROBERT WILLIAM BURTON 27/2/23-14/10/1974
    PAULINE HERRING 1946-1975
    MICHAEL ALLISON 14/2/1955-03/02/1972
    EVA MINA DUIGAN died 11/11/1927 aged 21
    DAVID HARRISON died 1969 aged 24
    CHARLES C HEMMINGTON 21/11/1951 aged 46
    LUCY EMILY FLOWERS 13/11/1936 aged 31
    WINIFRED MAY SOAR 21/02/1933 aged 30
    ERNEST WILLIAM LOVEGROVE died 17/10/1956
    BRUCE ANTHONY BEESON died 11/09/1960
    CHRISTINE MARGERET MACKAY 09.04.1976 aged 29
    DENNIS SCANNELL unreadable

OLDER GRAVEYARD

A R EAGER
    ANNIE TIMM WIFE OF JOSEPH
    THOMAS ELLARD
    JAMES ANDERSON
    EBENEZER PALMER HUSBAND OF JANE born Jan 1863 died Aug 30th 1901
    JOHN FRANKLIN CHEYNE
    GEORGE EVENDEN
    WALTER JOHN ROBINSON

THESE ARE ALL THE GRAVES THAT HAVE HEADSTONES THAT ARE READABLE/PART READABLE

Hello Martinv and welcome to Brit-Gen
    Thank you for your contribution to this post and taking the time and trouble to record your findings. Now the information is out there just waiting for someone doing a search whether soon or years away. It does happen.
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Quote Originally Posted by christanel View Post
    Hello Martinv and welcome to Brit-Gen
    Thank you for your contribution to this post and taking the time and trouble to record your findings. Now the information is out there just waiting for someone doing a search whether soon or years away. It does happen.
    Christina
    Thanks Christina

I didn't find my great grandfather but I still believe he is buried there! I'm hoping that I can confirm this by finding burial records which I believe may be located at the London metropropolitan archives. Hopefully these names on headstones will help somebody out in the future. I have taken photos of the headstones too.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast