Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    sheiky

Default dressmaker/prostitite?

I unfortunately do have my Grt Grandmother who is down as Dressmaker in census and on her daughters (my grandmothers) birth certificate. But she was found to be "unsafe as a mother" my grandmother was taken away from her and put in a waifs and strays home,and never went back to her. have never found out who my grandmothers father is!

horseshoe

Quote Originally Posted by arthurk View Post
    A couple of times recently I've come across the suggestion that a woman described in a census as a dressmaker or seamstress might have been using this as a euphemism, since she was involved in something much less wholesome. Is there any evidence to support this idea, please?

Arthur

NOT in my family dearie!!

horseshoe

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Goodey View Post
    You cannot assume that if most internet sources say something that it must be the truth. The same duff information circulates around and around being copied as it goes.

The position is as I described it in message 2 above. In a small number of cases, people who were known from other sources to be prostitutes, described themselves as dressmakers.

This does not mean that all or even many people who described themselves as dressmakers were prostitutes.

99.9% of dressmakers were dressmakers.

Mr Goodey, you live up to your fine surname sir!, I also believe this!, 99% of these women I think were who they say they were!! especially in rural areas. Some myths come down through history and destroy families reputations and cast shame and upset on innocent members of families, I studied the first world war for a number of years and I found one or two distressed people on forums who had myths and misconceptions handed down over the years. I think most of our ancestors did the best they could in extraordinary circumstances, God bless and rest them, which will thank heavens will never experience!.

Best wishes to all your ancestors and you, the granddaughter of the Blacksmith

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12