BlackPearl

Question What's the next best step?

Hi, I'm new to the forums and straight away I have a dilemma for you guys!

Whilst looking through the Blakeney(Gloucestershire) Baptisms for the Leach family name, I came across, by accident, a baptism for the Barrett name that caught my eyes as it gave my great-grandmother as the single woman mother of this child! I enquired to my mum if she knew of this person and, well, lets just say she was miffed at the fact that great-nanny 'went off on one' at both her and one of my aunties for becoming pregnant when being young and unmarried, as it seems great-nanny would have been 19 years old when her little boy was born and this would have been 3 years before she met and married my great-grandfather. The child was born Evan Kenneth Barrett 24 Sep 1922 Blakeney and baptised 22 Oct 1922 Blakeney.

What is the best thing for me to do next to find out whether Evan is still alive or not? My mum and well me too, are kinda desperate to know if there is more family out there that we don't know.
    Last edited by BlackPearl; 30-05-2006 at 12:15 AM.

ET in the USA

Lucky it's a boy, girls change their names.

I would start looking through Ancestry death registers

it will be a long process, but FreeBMD stopped at about 1911, so you are out of luck there. Perhaps, in addition, some kind person with an Ancestry subscription will do a search and see if there is a death listed in their 1984 - 2001 section. It is not unlikely that a person born in 1921 would died during that period.

You could also check the Commonwealth War Graves website https://www.cwgc.org/ to see if he is listed as a war death, being that he was 20 in 1941.
    Last edited by Guest; 19-08-2007 at 7:41 PM.

Rod Neep

There is a man of the same name (alive) in a search of 192.com

Unfortunately, it costs a lot to register with them to see the actual results. But, I would be thinking positively that he is indeed still alive.

Regards
    Rod

Geoffers

Everything everyone else has written, plus:

1) Check the CWGC site to see if there is a record of him dying in WW2

2) Check the GRO death index to see if he died young. If he grew up in this family, it seems odd that this is someone your family didn't know about. Check under both maiden and married names.

3) Check the GRO marriage index to see if you can find him getting hitched - and any subsequent children (The GRO index would include mother's maiden name so they should be fairly obvious)

4) Look for the will of your gt-granny's father - see if it mentions his grandson - or more pointedly, does it mention other grandchildren and not him?

5) It is possible that gt-granny gave him up for adoption - tracing what happened to such a child would be difficult.

6) Any family members alive from this period who may know about what happened - or any cousins who have letters/memories handed down.

Geoffers

BlackPearl

Smile my extra great-Uncle!

Thanks for the advice guys. I will check out everything that you suggested and let you know what I find.

Joanne.

BlackPearl

Question Marriage

ok So I have found a marriage for him in the June quarter 1942 (so aged abt. 20) name of person he married was Joyce M. Dewick Gloucester C. 6a 1237. I looked at it from Joyce's point of view just to make sure and found that it said she had married a Austin or Barrett. Next I looked to see if there was indeed a man with the surname Austin who married a Dewick in the june quarter of 1942 and there was a Evan K. Austin.

What exactly does this mean? Could it be that even though his mum Minnie had him baptised as Evan Kenneth Barrett, his father's surnmae was Austin so he also went by this name?

Joanne.

BlackPearl

Question More on this marriage

I have just realised that My great Grandmother Minnie's Sister Carrie Elizabeth Valentine Barrett Married a man by the name of Cyril Austin on the 27 March 1926 in Blakeney.

What do you think I should read into this?

Joanne
    Last edited by BlackPearl; 10-06-2006 at 8:11 PM. Reason: Misspelt word

Reputation beyond repute

"What do you think I should read into this?"

I don't think you should read anything into it until you've got both certificates and then all will be revealed.

I see that you've got a baptism but do you also have the birth certificate? It might be interesting.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Exclamation Are you still around?

Quote Originally Posted by BlackPearl View Post
    Hi, I'm new to the forums and straight away I have a dilemma for you guys!

Whilst looking through the Blakeney(Gloucestershire) Baptisms for the Leach family name, I came across, by accident, a baptism for the Barrett name that caught my eyes as it gave my great-grandmother as the single woman mother of this child! I enquired to my mum if she knew of this person and, well, lets just say she was miffed at the fact that great-nanny 'went off on one' at both her and one of my aunties for becoming pregnant when being young and unmarried, as it seems great-nanny would have been 19 years old when her little boy was born and this would have been 3 years before she met and married my great-grandfather. The child was born Evan Kenneth Barrett 24 Sep 1922 Blakeney and baptised 22 Oct 1922 Blakeney.

What is the best thing for me to do next to find out whether Evan is still alive or not? My mum and well me too, are kinda desperate to know if there is more family out there that we don't know.
    Evan Kenneth Barrett (AKA Evan Kenneth Austin) was my grandfather. WOuld be happy to discuss if you are still active on this board?