Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    lisawagner

There is a Sarah Jane F C Higgins on the BMD index born 1907 Prestwich, wondered if this may be Sarah Jane Freda Campbell but as would not help with my research am reluctant to pay just out of curiosity. Seems these ladies had a thing for railwaymen, Alice married James Webster who worked for Lancashire & Yorkshire Railways. The reference to Sarah being at Silk Street is for 1901 and not 1891, I have found a Sarah and John Campbell in Liverpool in 1871 and John is a mariner, they have two children, John Richard born 1867 and Sarah born 1869 and there is a Sarah Crellin married John Campbell in Liverpool 1865 but this is all speculative at the moment. I am plodding on and will let you know if anything turns up.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Quote Originally Posted by lisawagner View Post
    Hi to all,

I am trying, without success, to find information regarding my GGrandmother Alice Campbell, she married James Webster in 1911 and her father is named as William Campbell, Seaman, deceased. Her age has her born about 1885 and her death certificate confirms this. I have found an entry in the 1891 and 1901 census of an Alice Campbell, both St Joseph's Catholic Industrial School for Girls, Rusholme, Manchester, age 6 in the 1891 of Salford and 18 in the 1901 of Liverpool, and I am only assuming this is the same Alice in both. In the 1901 she is listed as a costume machinist, same as her marriage certificate. I know she had a sister known as Margaret who married Webb and the informant on her death certificate is her nephew Daniel Webb of Greenheys, Hulme but my Mum vaguely remembers Margaret may have been known as Mary, and there is a Man entry in the 1891 and 1901 census of an Alice Campbell, both St Joseph's Catholic Industrial School for Girls, Rusholme, Manchester, age 6 in the 1891 of Salford and 18 in the 1901 of Liverpool, and I am only assuming this is the same Alice in both. In the 1901 she is listed as a costume machinist, same as her marriage certificate. I know she had a sister known as Margaret who married Webb and the informant on her death certificate is her nephew Daniel Webb of Greenheys, Hulme but my Mum vaguely remembers Margaret may have been known as Mary, and there is a Mary Campbell listed on the 1891 census. I have searched for William in the 1881 but there are hundreds and none are seaman and there are numberous possibilities for her birth certificate. The only other information I know is that the family were devout Catholic so this would fit with the St Joseph's entry.

Now I have listed what I know is there anyone out there who could possibly steer me in the right direction. I have tried but can not seem to find any records for the Girls Industrial School, only the Boys in Ardwick. Maybe I am looking in the wrong place, so if anyone has any ideas, please let me know.

Thank you for taking the time to read this and any help would be appreciated.

Regards,
    Lisa

How interesting this is as I have just started researching my great aunt who was at this school and going by the list of all the girls there she was there at same time . Sarah Wigmore was 17 and your relative was 18! I now want to know how old my aunt was when she went there as I know she had lost her parents at a very very early age. I also now need to trace the following number of years when she went to France as a governess and translator. She is listed as a learner aat St. Josephs so I magine that is where she learned to speak French. \hope you had success. Mavis

Quote Originally Posted by mavisr View Post
    How interesting this is as I have just started researching my great aunt who was at this school and going by the list of all the girls there she was there at same time . Sarah Wigmore was 17 and your relative was 18! I now want to know how old my aunt was when she went there as I know she had lost her parents at a very very early age. I also now need to trace the following number of years when she went to France as a governess and translator. She is listed as a learner aat St. Josephs so I magine that is where she learned to speak French. \hope you had success. Mavis
    Hello Mavis and welcome to the British Genealogy Forums.

I cannot help you with how old Sarah was when she went to St Joseph's Industrial School or the years she spent in France. However, I would like to help with other research if I can.

My findings so far tell me Sarah had a sister Margaret Ann born 1880 and a brother Joseph born 1887. I found Sarah and Joseph's birth registrations on the GRO index which gives mother's maiden name unless mother wasn't married. You can search the GRO indexes for free but must first register. https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/c...ates/login.asp It seems Sarah's mother was unmarried when the children were born as mother's maiden name is not entered on their records. I haven't found Margaret's record in the GRO index, perhaps the GRO have missed or she has been mistranscribed, I have however found her registration on FreeBMD.

FreeBMD: Births Mar 1880
    Wigmore Margaret Ann Prestwich 8d 436

WIGMORE, SARAH -
    GRO Reference: 1883 M Quarter in PRESTWICH Volume 08D Page 413

WIGMORE, JOSEPH -
    GRO Reference: 1887 S Quarter in MANCHESTER Volume 08D Page 241

It appears their mother's name was Julia and her mother's name Bridget.

1881, RG11; Piece: 3998; Folio: 55; Page: 28;
    Joseph Smith 27, Manchester
    Julia Wigmore, 26, boarder, hawker, Manchester
    Bridget Wigmore 76, boarder, hawker, Ireland
    Margaret Wigmore, 1, boarder, Manchester

Note Julia and her daughter Margaret are boarders in Joseph Smith's house, I, therefore, think this must be them in 1891 all entered as Smith, after 1891 I lose Julia and her son Joseph. Margaret is on the 1911 census with her husband Reuben Gerlinski, as yet I've not found her in 1901.

1891, Manchester RG12; Piece: 3247; Folio: 113; Page: 9
    All born Manchester, boarding with Joseph Gavin
    Joseph Smith 35, warehouse porter
    Julia Smith 34
    Margaret Smith 11
    Sarah Smith 8
    Joseph Smith 3

Marriages Sep 1906, Chorlton 8c 1727
    GERLINSKI Reuben/WIGMORE Margaret

Maybe you already have all the above information but in case not I thought it worth posting.
    Alma

Julia with her parents and siblings.

1861, RG 9; Piece: 2960; Folio: 29; Page: 18;
    James Wigmore, porter general, Ireland
    Bridget Wigmore 50, hawker, Ireland
    Margaret Wigmore 15, hawker, Ireland
    Robert Wigmore 10, rope maker, Manchester
    Julia Wigmore 7, Manchester
    Alma

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default Sarah Wigmore

Quote Originally Posted by almach View Post
    Hello Mavis and welcome to the British Genealogy Forums.

I cannot help you with how old Sarah was when she went to St Joseph's Industrial School or the years she spent in France. However, I would like to help with other research if I can.

My findings so far tell me Sarah had a sister Margaret Ann born 1880 and a brother Joseph born 1887. I found Sarah and Joseph's birth registrations on the GRO index which gives mother's maiden name unless mother wasn't married. You can search the GRO indexes for free but must first register. https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/c...ates/login.asp It seems Sarah's mother was unmarried when the children were born as mother's maiden name is not entered on their records. I haven't found Margaret's record in the GRO index, perhaps the GRO have missed or she has been mistranscribed, I have however found her registration on FreeBMD.

FreeBMD: Births Mar 1880
    Wigmore Margaret Ann Prestwich 8d 436

WIGMORE, SARAH -
    GRO Reference: 1883 M Quarter in PRESTWICH Volume 08D Page 413

WIGMORE, JOSEPH -
    GRO Reference: 1887 S Quarter in MANCHESTER Volume 08D Page 241

It appears their mother's name was Julia and her mother's name Bridget.

1881, RG11; Piece: 3998; Folio: 55; Page: 28;
    Joseph Smith 27, Manchester
    Julia Wigmore, 26, boarder, hawker, Manchester
    Bridget Wigmore 76, boarder, hawker, Ireland
    Margaret Wigmore, 1, boarder, Manchester

Note Julia and her daughter Margaret are boarders in Joseph Smith's house, I, therefore, think this must be them in 1891 all entered as Smith, after 1891 I lose Julia and her son Joseph. Margaret is on the 1911 census with her husband Reuben Gerlinski, as yet I've not found her in 1901.

1891, Manchester RG12; Piece: 3247; Folio: 113; Page: 9
    All born Manchester, boarding with Joseph Gavin
    Joseph Smith 35, warehouse porter
    Julia Smith 34
    Margaret Smith 11
    Sarah Smith 8
    Joseph Smith 3

Marriages Sep 1906, Chorlton 8c 1727
    GERLINSKI Reuben/WIGMORE Margaret

Maybe you already have all the above information but in case not I thought it worth posting.

Many thanks for all this information. I do have most of it except I never knew Julia had had a son. Margaret Galinsky was my grandmother. I am having difficulty finding all the GRO etc references but have forwarded copy of your reply to my cousin in America which is how I found by accident when trying to trace my family, that a family tree had been done and I do have a contact in La Hulpa where Sarah lived who can help me with her history in France.

Many thanks once again

Mavis

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12