Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Lee (Delisle) Family in WW1

Hi

Can anybody tell me if there is a way to discover the whereabouts of my ancestors during WW1.

I have been told that they went to Eastern Europe sometime between 1901 and 1909, (My GGfather (Arthur Arnold Lee) worked for the ICRC)

I understand that they returned to their roots in the West Midlands during the war where they were not made welcome, so they went to Ireland (Belfast I believe) returning to Hungary after the war.

Also if anyone can help me to discover when and by what route they actually left the UK originally.

When they left the UK there name was Lee, but my GGrandfather Arthur Lee changed his name to Arthur Lee-Delisle sometime before 1909 when my Grandfather Arnold Louis was born.

Any guidance will be much appreciated

Tony Lee-Delisle

Paul London

Default Arnold Louis Lee Delisle

Quote Originally Posted by monkeynut View Post
    Hi

Can anybody tell me if there is a way to discover the whereabouts of my ancestors during WW1.

I have been told that they went to Eastern Europe sometime between 1901 and 1909, (My GGfather (Arthur Arnold Lee) worked for the ICRC)

I understand that they returned to their roots in the West Midlands during the war where they were not made welcome, so they went to Ireland (Belfast I believe) returning to Hungary after the war.

Also if anyone can help me to discover when and by what route they actually left the UK originally.

When they left the UK there name was Lee, but my GGrandfather Arthur Lee changed his name to Arthur Lee-Delisle sometime before 1909 when my Grandfather Arnold Louis was born.

Any guidance will be much appreciated

Tony Lee-Delisle
    Hi Tony,
    I just 'surfed in' and spotted the surname Lee Delisle - while I may not have the answers you seek I do believe we may have a common interest in the family of Arnold Louis Delisle. For the past 20 years I've been researching the lives of a number of (WWII) NZ escaped POW's. One man in particular (Roy Natusch) got into Hungary back in 1943 and worked as a defacto SOE agent with the Hungarian Bishop, the Rev Alexander Szent-Ivanyi. The Rev, during the German occupation of his country in March of 1944 was aslo instrumental is providing assistance and aid to a number of Brit nationals who found themselves trapped, among them was (and I believe I'm correct in assuming this fact) was your grandfather, Arnold Louis, his wife, their children Mary and son, Louis-John. There also seems to be another family with the same surname, i.e. Arthur Frances, his wife Paula and their two sons, Arthur and Edward. If any of the above facts seem to 'ring-a-bell' with you please feel free to contact me via my e-mail address - paullondon at actrix dot co dot nz

With kind regards

Paul
    Last edited by Mutley; 20-03-2011 at 9:54 PM. Reason: edited email because of the pesky spammers

Mutley

Hello Paul and welcome to the forum

monkeynut has not been around for a while but I hope he will receive notice of your reply and be able to respond.
    Your new information seems to be quite interesting from his point of view, thank you for submitting it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mutley View Post
    Hello Paul and welcome to the forum

monkeynut has not been around for a while but I hope he will receive notice of your reply and be able to respond.
    Your new information seems to be quite interesting from his point of view, thank you for submitting it.
    Hi Paul

Many thanks for your post, you have indeed got the right family, thank you so much for posting, you have told me something I did not know, I will be in touch privately to progress this.

Cheers

Tony

Default Arthur Lee

Toby,
    I'm finding your message many years after you wrote it, but I'm hoping that you see this message.
    I'm a Shaker historian in the United States. The Shakers were founded by Mother Ann Lee from Manchester, England. The "headquarters" of the Shaker movement was at their village of Mount Lebanon in the town of New Lebanon, New York. Many Shaker documents are on Western Reserve Historical Society microfilm. The Western Reserve Historical Society is in Cleveland, Ohio, but the microfilm of their Shaker documents can be found in many university libraries. At the University of New Hampshire where I earned two degrees in American history, I remember reading on WRHS microfilm some correspondence between an Arnold D'Lisle from England and Brother Alonzo Hollister, a Shaker from Mount Lebanon. I believe the correspondence was from the 1890's, although it could have been earlier than that. At any rate, Arnold D'Lisle eventually wrote Brother Alonzo that "Arnold D'Lisle" was a pen name and that his real name was Arthur Lee. He said that he was a descendant of one of Mother Ann's brothers--I think a brother named John, although I could be wrong about that. Arthur Lee seems to have been involved in pacifism, religion, social reform, etc. Mother Ann had come from very humble origins, but Arthur Lee said that the family had risen to prominence over the generations. Could this be the same Arthur Lee-D'Lisle that you are referring to and that was your great-great grandfather?
    Darryl Thompson

Welcome in, Darryl. Tony hasn’t been around since 2011, hopefully he’ll get our message that you have replied and return.
    Even if he doesn’t, your message will stay on our system, and may help someone else - ancestral name changes can make research so complicated!

Lesley,
    Thank you so much for your reply! I so hope that he does get the message!!
    Darryl Thompson

Hi Darryl
    I read your message with great interest and I think that there is something to explore here.
    I can confirm the Arthur wrote under the pen name of A L Delisle and his birth name was Arthur Lee. Later he added the Delisle to his family name and became Arthur Lee-Delisle and that name has remained with our family

I can definitely see some similarities in your description of my ancestor and want to explore further, especially the letter you mention would be of great interest

I have no knowledge of the family link to the shaker movement and would be ver interested to learn more. The founders name could be a coincidence but I am excited to find out if there is a link.

I will get back to you soon

Thanks for taking the time to write

Your

Tony Lee-Delisle

Tony,
    I guess I will post this. I had hesitated to put this online because the writer of the following piece seems to not be casting Arthur in the best light, but it is not really bad at all--just one writer's opinion. This appeared on page 74 in the Wednesday, July 10, 1907 (Vol. 62, No. 1593) issue of the British magazine "Truth":
    "A gentleman going by the name of Arnold or Arthur de Lisle, and describing himself as a Fellow of the Royal Historical Society, has lately been calling upon people in Westminster in search of donations to a fund which he is getting up in behalf of a Miss Evans. I would strongly advise anyone who may be favoured with his visits to refrain from bestowing their gifts until they have discovered who Miss Evans may be, and what authority De Lisle has to collect on her behalf. The Charity Organisation Society, who recently received an inquiry on these points, were unable to trace the lady in question, or to get any satisfactory information about her from De Lisle. Further, although he seems to have been at one time a Fellow of the Royal Historical Society, he is no longer. I believe that his real name is Lee, and that he has been in the habit of making appeals for obscure objects."
    Tony, if Arthur was at one time a Fellow of the Royal Historical Society, you should be able to get information about him from that organization!
    Darryl

Tony,
    I just checked Google Books and there was a 74-page book published in 1904 by "The Offices of the Banner" and it was called "The Story of the Redbroos Movement" and the author was Arnold De Lisle! I don't know what the Redbroos Movement was.
    Years ago in college, when I was trying to find out about the Arnold D'Lisle/Arthur Lee who wrote the letter to Brother Alonzo Hollister of the Mount Lebanon Shakers, I discovered that there was a mathematics book written by an Arnold D'Lisle (which is how he signed his last name when he wrote Brother Alonzo). I do not recall the title or publisher of that book.
    Darryl

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast