davidgmoore

Smile Searching Abdella/Abdellah/Abdullah, Brewing & Hairdressing

Hi

What a combination!

I have tracked ancestors of my wife to having the various surnames in the19th Century:

Abdella
    Abdillah
    Abdellah
    Abdullah

Living in Tamworth Street, Lichfield, variously at numbers 23 and 78

Quoted occupations included Beerhousekeeper and Hairdresser.

Reading a little about Lichfield, I discovered that it was quite a place in the 18th and early 19th Centuries with Dr Johnson living there, up to 80 breweries and maltsters, up to 20 of which occupied just three streets including Tamworth Street

Can anyone help with:

- knowing current generations of folk who live there with this name as their surname (or middle name)

- the Abdellas may have immigrated from the East Indies - are there any immigration records I can check anywhere?

- knowing anything about the history of brewing or hairdressing in the 18c and 19c in Lichfield

- knowing anything of Tamworth Street's history or current day use of buildings at those addresses

- does anyone know of the Grapes Inn which was the name of the establishment at 23 Tamworth Street I believe circa 1880 to 1900

I do not believe the Grapes Inn exists as a pub name in Lichfield now

Welcome any ideas

Many thanks

David

Dinah

Smile Abdellah Lichfield

Hi David

I am not connected to the above family, but can help with one or two of your queries.
    The Grapes Inn does not exist, and must have ceased many years ago - the site is now occupied by a Kwiksave supermarket and prior to that was the Regal cinema. There are still a considerable number of public houses in Lichfield however, 3 alone in Tamworth street.

There is still an Abdellah family in Lichfield and two others in surrounding villages - listed in the local telephone directory. My husband knows of a John Abdellah from his youth club days, (more than 40 yrs ago!).

I can access local library and record office if there is anything more specific to Lichfield you require help with.

Dinah

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Hello David, Are you still around? I am John Otho Abdella. My father was Henry Hitchins Abdella born Lichfield 1894. He was the son of John Henry Abdellah (1860-1936) and Sophia nee Masters 1863-1937. I have been in touch with a few of my Abdella relations in recent years. It seems that your wife is a relation of mine and would be interested to know more. Regards John.

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Hello John,

Welcome to British-Genealogy.

I do hope David is still around and that you can make contact.

You may have noticed that I have deleted your date of birth from your post. It's best not to spell out too much detail about yourself on the internet, and on one forum I belong to even though nearly everyone has a nickname (and therefore should be hard to trace) they actively discourage putting your date of birth in your profile.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Thanks Pam, That's fine,

John.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

I am related to William Abdellah, he was married to Harriet and was apparently, well known for having a barbers in the area of the Cathedral. I have a photo of them along with my grandma, Alice Brown and Rose and George Brown. Im looking to find out more if anyone can help please.

Hello Colin

Welcome to the forum.

The original poster hasn't been on the site for over 10 years, John hasn't returned his his post. Depending on the settings they might received an notification of your post.

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Benson View Post
    I am related to William Abdellah, he was married to Harriet and was apparently, well known for having a barbers in the area of the Cathedral. I have a photo of them along with my grandma, Alice Brown and Rose and George Brown. Im looking to find out more if anyone can help please.
    Hi Colin,

As Neil said the two Abdullah researchers haven't been active here for some time. However, we, members of Brit-Gen can try to help.

It is unclear how much you already know about William Abdellah. Please tell us what you know and we can then try to help you further, there is no point in us searching for information which you may already have.

Do you have a subscription with Ancestry or FMP? I don't want to give you census references for example if you cannot access them. It's not a problem if you don't have a subscription with one of the mentioned sites it just means us providing any useful information in a different way.
    Alma

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default Sorry I've been away for a while6

[QUOTE=almach;676169]Hi Colin,
    Apologies for being away, but I'm still interested in discovering more. I have a photograph of William and Harriet, together with
    George and Rose Brown and Alice Brown, Alice was my late mother's mum.