StevePER

Default Looking for Henry TAYLOR

Would anyone be kind enough to look up any available information about Henry TAYLOR? He was born around 1822 in Shoreditch and fought with the 13th Light Dragoons. We believe that he was involved in each of the four battles of the Crimean War.

Thanks,
    Steve

neil1821

Looking at the Crimea medal roll, Private Henry Taylor (regimental number 1141?, hard to read), confirmed at Alma, Balaclava, Inkerman. Frustratingly difficult to read, but I think Sevastopol as well.

StevePER

Thanks neil1821. Does anyone have any suggestions about how I might found out more about Henry Taylor?

Ron Leech

Steve

Do you have the line of descent for Henry? I have Taylor's in that area but no Henry's that I am aware of and of course it is a frequently occurring surname.

Have you looked at the parish records for the various Shoreditch churches?

StevePER

Things I do know are that Henry married Lilly Mary SIMMONS in 1874 and they had children Henry (1874), Frederick (1876), Grace (1879) and Albert (1885). One of the difficulties is that I can't find Henry in any census prior to 1881.

The marriage certificate shows that his father is Henry Joseph TAYLOR (auctioneer). I've been able a probable match in parish records (which indicates his mother is Rebecca HALL) but the name is so common it's hard to be sure.

I'd love to know more about his military career or really anything about his life before 1874.

Steve

Reputation beyond repute

"I'd love to know more about his military career"

The obvious place to try first is his military discharge papers. You seem to know his regiment. If you know when he was discharged it would help even more.

Assuming it was up to 1872, the documents will be filed by name within regiment at the National Archives in WO 97/1272 - WO 97/1721.

Ron Leech

Quote Originally Posted by StevePER
    One of the difficulties is that I can't find Henry in any census prior to 1881.
    If he was in the military he may well have been overseas during some of the earlier censuses. As Peter says if you can learn more about his military life you may well discover his whereabouts during census dates.

Presumably he left the military before he married? If his year of birth was 1822 then he was 52 when he married.

StevePER

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Goodey
    Assuming it was up to 1872, the documents will be filed by name within regiment at the National Archives in WO 97/1272 - WO 97/1721.
    Sounds great, but is there any way to do this other than in person? I live in Australia.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Leech
    Presumably he left the military before he married? If his year of birth was 1822 then he was 52 when he married.
    Yes, my grandmother told me he was quite old when he married. His occupation on the marriage certificate is "carman" so I believe he had left the military by this point. I'm not sure if it helps, but on a later census he is listed as a Chelsea pensioner.

Thanks for all the suggestions!

Reputation beyond repute

"Sounds great, but is there any way to do this other than in person? I live in Australia."

Well of course. You can either pay someone to do it for you or try your luck with ordering a copy from here:

https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/r...e=ddmenu_shop3

Presumably costs depend on how easy it is to locate the records. Since you know his name and regiment, it shouldn't be too bad.

Lawrence W. Crider

Default Henry Taylor, 13th Light Dragoons

Dear Steve:

From my book:

☼ Taylor, Pte Henry, (1141), 13th LD (p234)
    Enl 1842. At Coventry all 3 Mstrs [54-1-5]. At Varna 3rd Mstr [54-3-5]. Rode in Charge [BCS 1879]. Sick, abs,
    no dates, 5 days in Regt or Gen Hosp [54-4-5]. In Crimea all 3 Mstrs [55-2-5][55-3-5]. At Eupatoria 1st Mstr, abd
    Jason 2nd Mstr, & at Scut 3rd Mstr [55-4-5] & all 3 Mstrs [56-1-5]. Medal [464] w/ A [464], B [488], I [464], & S [484]
    Clasps. Att FBB 10-25-75 [ILN 10-30-75 442]. Member BCS 1877 & 1879 [GM 42]. Att Ann. Dinner in 1899. Died 12-
    14-1907.

Kind Regards,

Lawrence W. Crider
    Author, In Search of the Light Brigade
    Editor, the War Correspondent