Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Again, another helpful tip. My thanks Peter.

j

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Hi all
    I only joined you today, but I have read through this thread which interests me as my illegitimate grandmother was admitted to this workhouse at only 6 weeks of age with her mother Minnie McDermott in April 1922, I found this new fact in the ancestry record you mention, but there is no discharge record. I live in Australia, so not familiar with UK records. It my understanding is that I need to contact LMA ... are there other places I can search? Like most I am trying to connect with the missing ancestors, by the name McDermott.
    Thank you in advance, Terri

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Hi Scottgirl. If you look back to messages 35 - 42, you will find lots of useful information. Unfortunately I haven't had time to do any research recently, but now you have reminded me, I will get on with it!

Regards
    Judy

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Hi Guys, My Nan lived close to the Swaffield Institution and she was a Laundress for 25 years - I think it could have been here. Does anyone know anything about the Laundry side of the institution or how I could find out if this is where my nan and her mother worked?

Reputation beyond repute

Inmates would have worked in the laundry.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default Swaffield Road

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Goodey View Post
    Inmates would have worked in the laundry.
    Would it have only been inmates - would they have had people coming from outside. My nan and family were quite poor and her father had already deserted the family. Says my nan worked in the Laundry for 25 years.

Reputation beyond repute

It might be worth checking what records are available at London Metropolitan Archives. It would mean a personal visit when the time is right (if it ever becomes right again)

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Goodey View Post
    It might be worth checking what records are available at London Metropolitan Archives. It would mean a personal visit when the time is right (if it ever becomes right again)
    Thank you, I will try that as been wondering for years. Wished I asked more questions when she was alive

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345