Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    bert henderson

Default Passengers on Troop Ships - 1884

My grandfather Henry HENDERSON No. 1545 was in the 65th Regiment of Foot (1st BN Yorks & Lancs) for six years, leaving to Army Reserve 20th June 1884(from the Muster Book in Kew).
    In Feb 1884 the Regiment left Aden to return home on HMS Serapis, was diverted to Suakin to fight the Mahdi's forces. They arrived in UK in March.
    I have tried to find which document gives the lists of Soldiers actually embarked on a troopship to establish whether Henry was actually with the regiment or in the depot at Sheffield!
    I couldn't find his Service Record, Attestation papers or Regimental Diaries.
    Please Help !

Terry Reeves

Bert

If you havn't done so all ready, you should consult the Muster Books and Pay Lists for the battalion at the National Archive:

WO16/1907 - covering February-March 1884

WO16/1908 - covering 1884-1886

These should confirm his prescence or otherwise.

Terry Reeves
    Last edited by Terry Reeves; 01-05-2006 at 6:53 PM.

bert henderson

Default Passengers on Troop Ships 1884

Terry,
    thank you for that, I found WO16/1908 and an entry for my Grandfather. At the time I was happy to find evidence of his being in the regiment.
    I don't remember seeing any indication of where the regiment actually was , but then I wasn't looking for it. Do the Muster Books include such information?

Regards
    Bert

dannywh

Default Troop ships 1884

My GGrandfather John HALL 2449 was same regiment/time. Did you get any further? Regards Danny

bert henderson

Default 1st batt yorks & lancs 1884

Danny,
    I did find the Regimental Muster Book WO16\1907 which shows that my Grandfather was on the roll and being paid, with a few other clues to where they were:
    'en route - Aden to the Soudan thence to England'
    'Soudan gratuity charged'
    ' Pay - Officers and OR rations aboard ship'
    Also, the men whose pay stopped when they died in the two battles at El-Teb on the 29th Feb and Tammai on the 1st March.
    Have you found much about your g.g.grandfather?

Regards
    Bert Henderson

dannywh

Hello Bert,

So sorry for the "delay" in replying (!) I haven't seen this message until today.

I'm in the same boat as you were. Can't find GGrandfather John HALLs(929)Attestation papers, although I have got Grandfather (John HALL 2449). They were in the Regiment at the same time for a period although different companies. JH929 I found in the Discharge to Chelsea Pension ledger (don't have the WO ref any-more) which gave me some details. I need his attestation papers to track back on his parents. He enlisted Birr in 1861 and went straight out to NZ I think. I am trying to establish that through the Muster records but being in Sweden......
    I also think that there may have been other siblings in the 65th at the same time and possibly the father as well (Yes, John HALL born c 1801!).

Geoffers

Quote Originally Posted by dannywh
    Can't find GGrandfather John HALLs(929)Attestation papers, although I have got Grandfather (John HALL 2449). They were in the Regiment at the same time for a period although different companies. JH929 I found in the Discharge to Chelsea Pension ledger (don't have the WO ref any-more) which gave me some details. I need his attestation papers to track back on his parents.
    The records held by TNA in document class WO97 are now available to search and download via the pay-per-view site 'findmypast' - something you can seach from the comfort of home.

dannywh

Thanks for that useful snippet, as usual, Geoffers! FMPs indexing of the WO97 information precludes any detailed initial search parameters. However, my point here was with regard to Muster Roll information.

Valued member of Brit-Gen

Bert

I've checked the medal roll, and Henry Henderson is down as entitled to the Egypt Medal with clasps for El Teb and Tamaai, so must have been present with the Regiment; an address of 30 Pye Bank, Sheffield is shown on the roll.

Danny

John Hall is shown with the same medal and clasps, additionally he is shown as having served in the 65th in New Zealand during the Waikato Campaign of 1864, and entited to the NZ Medal.

Martin

Geoffers

Quote Originally Posted by dannywh
    John HALLs(929)Attestation papers, although I have got Grandfather (John HALL 2449). They were in the Regiment at the same time for a period although different companies. JH929 I found in the Discharge to Chelsea Pension ledger (don't have the WO ref any-more) which gave me some details. I need his attestation papers to track back on his parents. He enlisted Birr in 1861 and went straight out to NZ I think.
    John HALL (929) bn Ballinakil near Loughrea, Galway.
    Enlisted aged 18, at 2PM 21st Decemeber 1861 at The Birr, in the 65th.

Is this the right chap?

Discharged aged 46 yr 1mth - 5'7'' - Fresh comp. Hazel eyes, brown hair.
    Distinctive mark or scar - "Creature on back of neck"

He fraudulently enlisted in the 65th from the Galway Militia (enlisted in militia in May 1861) - so when findmypast release WO96 records, you may find more information.

The record shows when he went to New Zealand and when he returned, also when he received the New Zealand War Medal. Details are included of his other medals and camapaigns.

He married Ellen Murphy at Ballincollig 5th June 1870 (presumably stationed at the gunpowder mills)

The names of his seven children and their dates of birth are included in the record.

The eight pages of records appear to provide everything you were hoping to find in the muster roll?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast