Phil Crabbe

Smile Portlethen families: Allan, Craig, Main, Wood

Hi,

I am also researching Allan, Craig, Main and Wood families living in Portlethen from the mid 18th century. These families were very close and sometimes married cousins. This makes it difficult to sort out certain individuals as the same first names were given throughout the family. This practice also encouraged the use of nicknames for identification.

All my family in Portlethen were whitefishers. Women had their traditional jobs as fishwives and worked at home, while the menfolk fished together in the "family" boat. If the ship went down, whole families could lose their menfolk at the same time.

If this thread is taken up, I shall post more information on my family members in the hope of solving some of my genealogical puzzles.

Phil Crabbe

mmain

Phil,

I'm interested in your Portlethen research, as I am also looking into Main, Wood and Craig families, although I have not seen the Allan family name appear in the census records I have been recently reviewing.

Regards,

Martin Main

Phil Crabbe

Red face Portlethen families

Hi Martin,

I have prepared some information for you, but when I paste it into the body of this message it seems to get corrupted. My email is [email protected]. If you could send me your email address, I can give you my ancestors and some descendants.
    Best wishes,
    Phil

Cameron

Default Portlethen families

Hi Phil,

I am researching Woods families in Findon, and as you say they are all closely related and hard to distinguish from one another. Do you have any info on Tee names in the areas. I would be interested in finding out more about them.
    I have a James Wood born 1786 died 1857 and have seen a reference to him being called James Wood 'King' which I presume is his tee name. He married Margaret Knowles.

Best wishes,
    Robert Cameron