pdixon

Default South/Flux Family - Fawley, & South Stoneham, Hampshire:

I am trying to establish whether my wife's family has Jewish ancestry. I am located in Tasmania, Australia.

The matrial surnames involved are:

Smedmore (1700s)
    Wyatt (1700s)
    Cooper (1700s - early 1800s)
    Baker (1700s - early 1800s)
    South (1800s)
    Flux (1800s)

It appears that most if not all of these people had some connection with the Fawley Parish and latterly the South Stoneham Parish. That of itself is not conclusive as to the existence or otherwise of Jewish ancestry.

I would be obliged if any forum member has any knowledge of this, or, alternatively, has any ideas as to how we might investigate this further.

Peter Dixon

Valued member of Brit-Gen

Default Jewish

Everyone had to be married or buried in Church of England for it to be recognized, except for Jewish and Quakers. If they were Jewish then their records should be held by the Jewish Church.

Irene

Steve Steere

Hi Peter,

I have many family connections in Fawley, and the names BAKER, COOPER, SOUTH & WYATT appear for baptism, marriage & burials at All Saints C of E Church.

I haven't come across SMEDMORE or FLUX though.

Early Fawley parish records are on the IGI, so if your family names are appearing in the register then I doubt very much that they are Jewish. If you want full details on a Fawley event send me a private message.

If you go to https://www.cyndislist.com/
    Under the Jewish subtitle there are 552 links, so I'm sure you can find out everything you want to know and more.

Regards,

Steve

bartonphilip

Default Flux Family

Peter I am a descendant of the Flux family of Millbrook (S.Stoneham reg. district) Fawley and Eling all v. close to Southampton.
    The Fluxs were all christened and married in the established Church of England.
    This branch of the family originated from Barford St. Martin, Wiltshire. Nicholas Flux b.ca. 1760 marr. Mary Shergold. Their son James b. 1783 moved to Eling. A large family group evolved.
    Nothing in the records would suggest any Jewish connection.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Hello,

I too am descended from the Millbrook Fluxes and have researched the Connection of Flux/South down through their descendants. I have seen no instance of Judaism through that line unless it was back in earlier generations of the South family. It is definitely not in the Flux ancestry. Hope this helps. Happy New Year.