Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mythology

"this sub-district is not mentioned in the National Archives Catalogue in the first place"

Amendment.
    Actually, it *is* mentioned - but you'd have to use the Advanced Search method that Peter refers to in order to find it.
    In the general "Registration District 3. St George Hanover Square" stuff you then find (my emboldening)...
    "Street Indexed Registration Sub-District 3 Belgrave Wanting Parish: St George Hanover Square Hamlets: Pimlico, Buckingham Palace, Knightsbridge (part) (The rest of Knightsbridge is in RG 9/54 & 55.)"

Reputation beyond repute

"this sub-district is not mentioned in the National Archives Catalogue"

Strangely, it is mentioned under the maps - in the notes to RG 18/130 "Registration Sub-District 3 Belgrave Wanting".

Very odd.

busyglen

Thanks Myth....trust me to get it wrong!! I never have been able to understand the various districts in London, but I am learning all the time.

If it hadn't been for Peter and Terry's posts, I wouldn't have been aware that you could find out what pieces were missing, or wanting.

Glenys

busyglen

Quote Originally Posted by Julie Tyrell
    Thank Terry

That explains a lot, I didn't know that list existed.

Busyglen, I am after the Deal 1901 one too?? Small world!!

Julie
    Yes Julie...a very small world since we started using computers.

Glenys

Mythology

"I never have been able to understand the various districts in London, but I am learning all the time."

Don't worry *too* much about it - nor did the Registrar General.

Pop over to Genuki and look up the registration district called simply "Westminster".
    You find that this is a renaming of "St James Westminster".
    The parishes included are St Anne Soho and Westminster St James - the latter being basically the Piccadilly area.
    So, from the time it was renamed, you have a district called "Westminster" which did not include the main part of Westminster, the area around the Houses of Parliament etc., this chunk, formerly "Westminster St Margaret" (parishes St John, St Margaret, St Peter) having been transferred to St George Hanover Square.
    Offhand, I can't think of anything less logical.

Incidentally, getting back to the 1837online list, I suspect that the reason they've missed that Belgrave chunk is that they've probably done things by the piece numbers and there's no piece number for it.

busyglen

Strangely enough, I started off looking for `Westminster' as this is the pob that my Alfred Jarvis gave in the 1871 Census, although I knew he had been born in Bucks. It was only when I tried to find more information, that someone found him in the 1851, in St. George Hanover Square. This confused me quite a bit at the time, but I am gradually sorting it out in my head! This has always been my problem when I find a pob. in London, but don't know what part of the Census to look for or what CD to get etc.

I may just be up to speed in another 20 years, (if I am still around that is)!!

Glenys

wrinkly

Smile Missing bits of censuses

Quote Originally Posted by marymog View Post
    Hi peter,

This is very interesting, I understand all except:- what is TNA page and how does one find it??

I find the NA very difficult to use, as a matter of fact I've never found anything on a search there, but I'm determined to master it.

mm
    Oh Marymog I am SO glad that I am not the only one that finds NA "very difficult" in fact I find it impossible to find anything at all - and when I email them they tell me how to find that particular bit of information - sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't but they are always "at a loss to understand why I find it so difficult".......... I thought it must be me but feel better now I know I am not alone................ Wrinkly

Famous for offering help & advice

Default 1911 Derbyshire

I have established that 122 people in 23 Households are missing from the 1911 images online, but ARE on an enumerators list.
    These people reside in the Parish of South Wingfield at Birches Lane, South Wingfield. Oakerthorpe Village. Peacock Hotel, Oakerthorpe. Upton Fields, Dale House. Dale Lodge.

I have emailed Findmypast for an explanation.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12