Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789
    shields

Do you know if the regiment would have traveled together? We have part of a book called Modern Leicester Jottings by Robert Read. The Pages we have are a soldiers diary of a voyage to India and it describes life on a troop ship. It sailed October 5, 1876. He was in the 2/17th Regiment. What are the chances of this being the same voyage that James Brown was on.

Famous for offering help & advice gortonboy's Avatar

I think it will indeed be the exact same voyage. On his service record,,it says he is being examined for discharge in Mhow on the 22nd October 1878...further down it states he served in the East Indies {India} for 2 years 18 days. If you do the math,,you arrive at a sailing date or start of service date in India of 4th October 1876. It must be the same journey.

This is not so much a reply as a new request for help. My G-g-uncle JJ Connell appears to have enlisted in the 17th at the Curragh in 1870 at age 17 or 18. Soldier #1168 JJ Connell is shown on a Muster Roll for 17th in Nynee Tal India in 1871 and 1872. No more info on this chap till 1882 when a discharge list shows him as a Sgt. discharged as "Free" . What does that mean? Was this exactly 12 yrs which qualified him to walk away?
    Johnny Canuck

Hes the one claiming his pension at sixmile Bridge area, Tralee.in April 1882?
    Gortonboy. Mike.

I kinda doubt it. He was not discharged till Oct. I don't think there was pension till you had 21 yrs of service. He only had 12 and was only 29yrs old, and I think was discharged in India.
    Johnny.

OK...there must have been two sergeants in the 17th with the same name.
    Gortonboy. Mike.

I'm fairly confident #1168 is my man. On discharge list his "cause' is shown as "Free" . What does that mean ?
    Johnny

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789