Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Knowledgeable and helpful keith9351's Avatar

The 17th The Leicestershire Regiment fought in the Crimea War before going to Canada in 1856, They were in Canada for the Trent Affair which nearly lead to war between the United States and Great Britain.
    They returned to England in 1865, then on to Ireland 1867, India 1870 and Afghanistan 1878.
    Keith

erick

Default ERICK

My great-grandfather, George Acres, born about c1837 in Ireland, was a Staff Sergeant in the 17th Foot regiment. He served in Canada in the 1860s ... several of his children were born in Quebec.... I have been unable to find his army records. I had been told he received medal of honor in Canada and elsewhere and that he may have retired from the 17th foot to england.
    Can you help me locate that information.
    Also I would like to find out where in Ireland he was born would those records tell me.
    ERICK G. OLOFSSON

Phred

Quote Originally Posted by neil1821 View Post
    Hi,
    You say he purchased his discharge in 1866, the year of the first Fenian Raid.
    Have you checked the medal roll? I have it here, happy to check if you give me a name.
    Neil
    I am researching Sergeant Thomas Cambridge, 17th Foot (Leicesters), who served with the regiment in Quebec from 1856. Thomas was a Warder at the Military Prison in Quebec in 1867 and 1868 and then moved with his family to Montreal embarking on a second career in the Police, rising to the rank of Lieutenant.

May I ask for a look up in the Canadian General Service Medal Rolls for Thomas to see if he was awarded any of the CGSM's for the Fenian Raids and/or the Red River Rebellion.

Thanking you in anticipation.

Kind regards and Happy New Year,

Pete

jmduke

Erick: Your post tweaked my interest because my GGF was also a sergeant in the 17th in Quebec. I found several parish register entires relevant to George Acres while in Quebec, specifically his marriage and the baptisms of four children. If you don't already have these, I would be pleased to transcribe them for you.

JMD

erick

Default https://www.british-genealogy.com/forums/showt

JMduke: My email is: coollugan AT sbcglobal DOT net and my I can send you my address by Private Message. I thank yoou so very much in helping me with my search and Please transcribe whatever you may have found to me.
    Erick
    Posted by: jmduke
    On: 02-03-2010 08:22 PM

Erick: Your post tweaked my interest because my GGF was also a sergeant in the 17th in Quebec. I found several parish register entires relevant to George Acres while in Quebec, specifically his marriage and the baptisms of four children. If you don't already have these, I would be pleased to transcribe them for you.
    Last edited by Jan1954; 04-03-2010 at 3:31 PM. Reason: Email address edited against spammers and personal details removed

Graham1

This is my first attempt at using this forum (or indeed any forum) so hope i'm doing the correct thing!

I'm researching my GGGF Sgt John Faulks (No 74. 1st Battalion 17th Regt of Foot) . I have copies of his discharge papers. He joined October 1857 and discharged Jan 1878. I have his Silver medal for Long service and Good Conduct. I am trying to find out 1) where he served and what campagines he was involved in and 2) he married a lady from Ireland in around 1866, where can I find details of that marriage? and lastly my GGM Agnes Louisa Faulks was born in Lucknow in 1873 where might there be records of her birth? He returned to England after discharge and is on the census for 1881 onwards dieing in 1920 in Leicester always diescribed as Army Pensioner. Any help will be greatly appriciated thanks Graham

Geoffers

Welcome to the British-Genealogy forums

Quote Originally Posted by Graham1
    I'm researching my GGGF Sgt John Faulks (No 74. 1st Battalion 17th Regt of Foot) . I have copies of his discharge papers. He joined October 1857 and discharged Jan 1878.
    The discharge papers should record some detail, number of years and days posted at home and overseas. What do they record for his time when he wasn't posted at 'home'?

Have you looked at what may be recorded in other documents held at The national Archives? - see these research guides click on the links prefixed 'British Army', for example have a look at pension records.

Regimental museums can be useful and interesting with regard to what regiments were doing at any particular time.

royalanglianmuseum.org.uk/leicestershire.html

he married a lady from Ireland in around 1866, where can I find details of that marriage?
    There are two series of army marriages. One is indexed and can be searched online - The Army Chaplains Returns of marriage 1796-1880 (it's on most pay-per-view sites). If you find an entry there, you can order a copy of the certificate from the general Register office (GRO).

The second series of army marriages for this time are the 'Regimental Registers of Marriages 1761-1924. If you have a regiment and an approximate year of marriage, the GRO will carry out a search of the relevant regimental register for you.

and lastly my GGM Agnes Louisa Faulks was born in Lucknow in 1873
    Army births indexes are available on pay-per-view sites and copies of certificates can be ordered from the GRO.

Graham1

Many thanks for this i'll follow it up and see where it takes me. Graham

nanbird14

Hi everyone, I have just found on ancestry details of my gr gr grandfather's (George Saunders born 1837 in Northampton) army record, I knew that he was in the 2/17th regiment and then transferrred to the Prince of Wales Canadian rifles, it says in his records that he was in North America for 8 years 5 months enlisted in 1858 and discharged in 1870. In between this time, he married a canadian lady Rachael born in Sydney, Canada, and had a son in 1864 in Halifax Nova Scotia. I found the baptism of Son George Henry, but cannot find a marriage for George and Rachael, he brought her back to Northampton and they appear on the 1871 census living in a very poor area, by the beginning of 1872 George had remarried and Rachael seems to have vanished into thin air, I have been unable to find a death certificate for her. or to find her on any passenger lists returning to Canada. Does anyone know if there are many records for this regiment, it seems George was 3 times in the defaulters book, and court martialed twice. He was recalled to the army reserves in 1878 and discahrged in 1882, any idea why this would have been as he would not have been a young man any more. There seems to be a lot of questions in this, sorry, but I am so excited to have finally found some documentation on him. I have visited the GRO at Kew 3 times without any luck.
    Would be really grateful for any assistance of where to look next for more details on his army career.
    Elaine

jmduke

Default George Saunders 17th Foot

Elaine:
    It is likely that your GGGF transferred from the 17th Foot to the Royal Canadian Rifles Regiment (RCRR), rather than the Prince of Wales Cdn Rifles (I don't believe that there was such a regiment.) The RCRR was a British regiment raised in 1840 and disbanded in 1870, when most British troops were withdrawn from Canada. In the event, you should find the records of his discharge archived under the RCRR (that's where I found my GGF's records who also transferred from the 17th). Many military records are now accessible for a fee at FindMyPast. I did an index search and turned up a George Saunders b. 1838, Northampton - presumably your relative. I don't have a subscription, so I wasn't able to look at the record.

As for the record of his marriage, Nova Scotia Historical Vital Statistics are viewable on-line without cost (https://www.genealogysearch.org/canada/novascotia.html) There are a number of marriages for men named George Saunders in the period in question, but none would appear to be your GGGF. The site notes that although civil registration of marriages began in Nova Scotia in 1758, it did not become mandatory until 1864, presumably after George and Rachael were wed. However, there may well be a record in a parish register.

JMD

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast