Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    elissa kester

Default Re: Patrick Gurney

Hello all
    Some months ago I posted a query about the regimental records relating to my gt-gt-grandfather Patrick Gurney ... a longstanding brickwall in my research. I happy to say that finally, as a result of information posted by Geoffers and others, I have finally discovered most of those records. Although the period I am most interested in (1854-59) was not covered in the 17th Foot records I now know that Patrick was born at Newbridge in Co Kildare which gives a possible starting point for finding earlier generations... although this avenue has so far not come up with anything conclusive.

Thanks to those who posted suggestions relating to this topic.

Regards,
    Elissa

helencoan

I have Alfred Disney listed on the 1861 Census at Shorncliffe camp in Suffolk as Private in the 17th regiment of Foot. From what I see here it is likely he went to Canada with the Regiment. There is an Afred Disney in the 1871 Directory for Montreal could this be him? Any help much appreciated.

Geoffers

Hello and welcome to the B-G forums

Quote Originally Posted by helencoan
    I have Alfred Disney listed on the 1861 Census at Shorncliffe camp in Suffolk as Private in the 17th regiment of Foot. From what I see here it is likely he went to Canada with the Regiment.
    Do you have your chap's army service record? If not, that would be the first thing for which I think you need to look.

There are a couple of links on this thread to research guides on The National Archives' (TNA)web-site. On this forum there is a message at the top of the list of thread on how to find some British army records.

helencoan

Default Alfred Disney

Thanks for that . I've followed the threads and have found I need to look in WO97/1444 for discharge papers but as he probably left in Canada I doubt if they will be here. Since he was on the 1861 census in Suffolk there must be a good chance that he will be in the muster & pay rolls in WO12. My problem is access to the National Archives . Still at least I'm a better informed about where to look than I was. Any chance of a look up on the medal rolls? Helen

Geoffers

Quote Originally Posted by helencoan
    I've followed the threads and have found I need to look in WO97/1444 for discharge papers but as he probably left in Canada I doubt if they will be here.
    It doesn't matter where your chap went off to live, the record should be at TNA

If you can identify a probable file AND you can provide some detail to specifically identify your chap in amongst the others in the same box, then you could ask TNA to provide an estimate for copying the discharge papers. The last set I received cost about six quid, better value than a birth certificate.

If you're not sure where to click on TNA's web-site, jsut ask and I'll try to led you through it.

helencoan

I've already got a reply for a request for copies of documents from WO97/1444 but they say it would take too long to find them so can't give a quote. I suspect the search would be even longer looking at the musters and paypolls so I'll just have to wait until anothe ropportunity arives. Thank you so much for directing me to the records I will need. Helen

Geoffers

Oh well, such is life - if it helps the records in WO96 and WO97 are going to be put online by 2011 if you could just twiddle your thumbs for a while........

erick

Smile George Acres

Looking for information on Standish Acres and his brother George was a color?Sergeant 1st Battalion 17th Regiment of Foot.
    I see that people would stay in Canada or return to England while in the 1st Battalion 17th Regiment of Foot. served somewhere about 1860-1863 ?
    Is there someway I can find out what happened th George he was my Great Great Gradfathers, brother. He lived quite a colorful life from what I see of it
    If you can possibly help me I would appreciate it so much
    Miriam Olofsson

Nperez1986

Hi, my name is Norberto. I've been trying to research alot on the 2nd Anglo Afghan war, due to I came upone this interest from my last visit to Afghanistan. I saw and admired the 1853 Enfields and 1866 Sniders I cam upon, of course the Martini-Henry's as well. And Curisosity led to my exploration of how did these rifles get here? What to look for? How to tell if its real or a copy? etc. Well I came upon and acquired a P1853 Enfield, 3 band, marked with 1/ 17 / 773. Came to find out it was assigned to the 1st Battalion, 17th regiment of foot. ...now my question is, is there ANY way to find out who wielded this piece of history I've attained. I know they used martini Henry's in the 2nd Anglo afghan war, the Indians were given 1866 Snider Enfield, which I also acquired, I'm convinced did the 17th fight in the crimean war? if so then I can honestly states that this rifel shot in the Crimean war, and was last used in the 2nd Anglo Afghan war. I have a link to the photo's I've taken of this beautiful rifle. I checked EVERYTHING, disassembled, to verify authentic english pieces, not the Afghan copies they make out there. Only thing I wish was that the Afghans did not remove the blueing as they believe this to make the rifles more attractive to sell
    https://www.thefirearmsforum.com/showthread.php?t=40710
    I'm looking to find in any record who was 773?? I have his rifle,and it would be great to know who shot it

can anyone please help me in this quest to place a name with this rifle (P56 Enfield)? I: My email is [email protected].

Mary Anne

Norberto

You could try contacting the Canadian War Museum on Ottawa. They have an awesome collection of rifles and are very knowledgeable about the artifacts. As well, they have and have access to (at Library and Archives Canada) a lot of historical records that may give you some clues.

Mary Anne

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast