Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: SEXTON - Jersey

Quote Originally Posted by drianmcdonald View Post

On May 8th 1911, a talk ascribed to a "Florence E. Sexton, MB, ChB, MTCA, Teachers Diploma of the Midland Dairy Institute and the Kilmarnock Dairy School" about dairy products is read (presumably by Florence herself)
    The Motherwell Times, 12 May 1911, in reporting the meeting -

" ... Dr Florence E Sexton, Glasgow, discussing the question as to whether dairy products should be used by vegetarians stated, in the course of an interesting paper, which she read, that it was a matter of opinion. ..."
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

"MTCA" - I wonder if this is "Member of the Temperance Collegiate Association"

Temperance Collegiate Association
    May 1908
    Final examination in Physiology and Pathology - Florence E Sexton, Glasgow, honours, 1st place (bracketed).

(The Scotsman, 28 July 1908)

I suspect you may have this but just in case

https://www.animalsandsociety.org/wp-...10/leneman.pdf

reference to Florence on page 223

The Dundee Evening Telegraph, 26 Oct 1903, has an extract from one of Florence's contributions to the "vegetarian Messenger"

Default Florence Elizabeth Sexton / thanks

Thanks, cheers.

I can imagine that she'd put a Temperance society membership after her name when writing in a vegetarian journal.

It seems intriguing to me that she went from a fairly strong interest in farming - two courses - to medical school. I wonder whether she was peripatetic in her interests, or whether one led to the other.

BTW, the Swedenborgians also have a significant vegetarian undercurrent. The Vegetarian Society at its inception in 1847 was bankrolled and largely run by a Manchester-based breakaway from the Swedenborgians, called the "Bible Christian church". But by the turn of the twentieth century, the Bible Christians are a shadow of its former self, both in size and in doctrinal distinction.

Yes, Leneman's paper is what set me off on tracking down this conversation. I don't suppose she was reported saying anything of note in 1903? (As opposed to simply arguing for vegetarianism - though even that would have been useful in confirming she was, indeed, vegetarian.)

I've also noticed a 1910 Haematology book thanks Florence Sexton for doing the figures (possibly using that artist background).

She also becomes accepted as an associate of the British Homoeopaths in 1949/50, which would be around the time she'd retire from practising medicine.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default Dr Florence Elizabeth Sexton MB

Dr Florence Elizabeth Sexton MB
    I’m researching the early years of Esperanto for a documentary. Florence Elizabeth Sexton was living in Scotland with her family and qualified as a doctor at Glasgow University. (gla.ac.uk). She became quite active in the Esperanto movement. The operations of the international organisation moved from Paris to Geneva at about the same time. Each person who took the trouble to learn Esperanto had their own reasons and circumstances. Dr Florence’s cousin, Frederick, was also an influence on her.
    Frederick Peake Sexton 1914 “Peace is not made by leaders because pride and self-interest get in the way. Peace is made by ordinary people talking to each other and realising that they are similar.” (translated from Esperanto).
    Frederick Peake Sexton, educated at the Royal College of Science later Imperial College, refers to the unofficial truce in No Man’s Land where English and German soldiers celebrated Christmas together in peace in 1914. Florence notes this is one of the most uncelebrated events of the century and ignored by those who memorialise war. Florence also refers to the poet William Auld who had served in the RAF in WW2, his work leaves us in no doubt about the stupidity of war. ‘I am concerned with the infancy of Man’ (La Infana Raso Chapter XXI) (translated from Esperanto).
    Dr Florence Sexton survived WW2 but another cousin, Douglas, was killed in action.
    Lieutenant Douglas FM Sexton volunteered to join the Royal Navy in WW2 but was killed leading his assault vessel at Walcheren in 1944. He was a young man in his early twenties. Florence writes about her cousins to a correspondent in Esperanto after the war.
    “The English people had no argument with the German people. The First War should have ended at Christmas 1914 by agreement of the soldiers in the trenches. Frederick Peake Sexton was vindicated and his words were wise, and yet he is still criticised today even though tens of millions of innocent citizens have been killed. Governments are unable to grasp the truth that war can be avoided by law and reason. Ordinary people can reason. Ordinary soldiers can reason. Lieutenant Douglas Sexton was a hero but if soldiers could speak to us from the dead, they would tell us to put down our guns and speak to each other.” (translated from Esperanto)
    This was a powerful message written by Florence in the 1950s. As William Auld notes we are “infants and infants who can’t get across the message to their governments that reason can resolve conflict.“ Esperanto was a tool for communication but not one wanted by colonial powers.
    Florence led a life of public service and was appointed a serving sister of the Order of St John.
    (The Times 5 January 1938).

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123