Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: SEXTON - Jersey

Davran

Default SEXTON - Jersey

Does anyone know how to access the Jersey BMDs? I have tried the Jersey Archive website, which has provided me with some of the information I was looking for, but I need to check for another death.

I am looking for the death of Alexander Humboldt SEXTON, who died in 1932, possibly in Jersey at the age of 78. The trouble is he was born in England and lived for many years in Scotland (professor in Glasgow from 1884-1909). I have searched for his death in England (Ancestry and family rellies) and Scotland (scotlandspeople), but no luck. The only thing I can think is that he moved to Jersey with his children, who were known to be there from 1913 onwards. I have found the deaths of both children - Florence Elizabeth and George Alex in Jersey Archives, but wonder if there is another source of BMD for Jersey.

Can anyone help, please?

Stewart Hill

Hi there

As I had to go to the ArchiveCentre last night (late night opening), I took the opportunity of looking for your Alexander Humboldt SEXTON. Well the good news is that there is an index record for a death of AHS of St. Helier between Feb 1931 - Feb 1933 (Vol 56 P65).

I could also see the death of Florence Elizabeth Sexton of St Helier between Jan 1956 - Feb 1958 (Vol 67 P31) and George Alex Sexton of St Helier between Aug 1941 - Nov 1943 (Vol 67 P31).

I also looked up the St Helier rate list(s) as to where they were living. I could not find a record for AHS at least in in the years I looked, in so assume he was living with someone. However in 1924 FES and GAS were living at 51, David Place, St. Helier. From 1925 to 1955, FES was at 51, Val Plaisant, St Helier whilst the record for 1956 shows that address being owned by "the estate of FES". GAS lived at the Val Plaisant address for a time but then in 1940 was at 2, Le Sommet, Trinity Hill, St. Helier.

cont.....
    Last edited by Stewart Hill; 28-04-2006 at 8:50 AM.

Stewart Hill

Whilst I don't know the people, the impression from other references implies FES was a doctor and there is a sound record of a lady talking about FES and the support she had been given.

https://jerseyheritagetrust.jeron.je/...h,+Dr&LIMIT=10

I expect you've seen the reference to GAS's will but in case you haven't - "Testament of George Alexander Sexton, Le Sommet, Vingtaine of Haut de Mont-au-Pretre, Minister of the New Church. Dated 23 April 1941. Bequeaths an oil painting of his father by James Ramsey Russell to the New Church Society, Glasgow; to Frederick Peak Sexton all scientific instruments and books written by the testator or his father; Swedenbourg's books to the library of the New Church; books on Yachting and Charts to the Royal CI Yacht Club and St Helier Yacht Club; remainder of possessions to the Trustees of the First Association of the New Church in Jersey. 1942".

https://jerseyheritagetrust.jeron.je/...ander&LIMIT=10

Let me know if you need anything further.

Stewart
    Last edited by Stewart Hill; 28-04-2006 at 9:00 AM.

Davran

Hi Stewart

Humble apologies for the late reply to your info - I have no idea how I missed it! . That's fantastic that you found the death of Alexander Humboldt Sexton - that finishes off that branch of the family as there were no offspring from either of his children. George Alex's wife, Blanche, was the last to die in 1958.

If you ever come across any references to Dr Florence Elizabeth I would be very interested to know. According to family lore she is supposed to be the first woman GP. It seems unlikely to me, but perhaps she was the first woman GP in Jersey! She qualified as a doctor from Glasgow University in 1910 and was practising in Jersey in 1913 (aged 35).

Thanks again for your trouble and sorry for not thanking you before!!!!

Spencer

Default SEXTON - JERSEY

Dr Florence Elizabeth Sexton was an early qualified Scottish doctor but not the first. Marion Gilchrist had graduated in medicine from Edinburgh a decade earlier. Dr Sexton is linked to our Stuart and Jacobite side of the family. Interesting then that Dr Florence Sexton chose medicine and not the law considering that some of her Scottish forebears had been eminent Scottish lawyers over a number of centuries. Her grandfather Dr George Sexton was a doctor of law as well as a qualified medical doctor. However, in 1909 the Scottish legal profession consisted entirely of men! (The first female law graduate was from the University of Edinburgh and the first from Glasgow was Madge Easton Anderson in 1919 and she became the first woman to be admitted as a Scottish law agent in 1920.) We understand that Dr Sexton was the first female qualified doctor in Jersey and before the passing of the Disqualification(Removal) Act in 1919!

David150

Professor Timothy Larsen has analysed Dr George Sexton's career as an academic theologian. A study of documents in Rome links Dr Sexton's family with the Jacobite court at Rome. Dr George Sexton was educated at Giessen in Prussia and was involved with the Accademia dei Quiriti being a member of a notable Scottish family who lived discreetly after the 'Forty-Five'.

Davran

Spencer, I would be very interested to see the links to Scotland through the Sexton family. As far as I knew they came from Norfolk.

Davran

David150, I would be very interested in seeing the evidence you have uncovered in Rome. As far as I knew Rev George Sexton had a degree from Gottingen. Any information about the Accademia dei Quiriti would also be of great interest.

Spencer

Quote Originally Posted by David150 View Post
    Professor Timothy Larsen has analysed Dr George Sexton's career as an academic theologian. A study of documents in Rome links Dr Sexton's family with the Jacobite court at Rome. Dr George Sexton was educated at Giessen in Prussia and was involved with the Accademia dei Quiriti being a member of a notable Scottish family who lived discreetly after the 'Forty-Five'.
    SEXTON- JERSEY-PRUSSIA-ROME

Thanks. Professor Larsen's research notes that Dr George Sexton was awarded a Ph.D from the University of Giessen in Prussia in September 1858 and it seems that the MD was also from Giessen. (Professor Timothy Larsen, 'Crisis of Doubt' OXFORD UNIVERSITY PRESS 2006. p. 199).

Spencer

SEXTON- JERSEY-PRUSSIA-ROME

Professor Larsen's research notes that Dr George Sexton was awarded a Ph.D from the University of Giessen in Prussia in September 1858 and it seems that the MD was also from Giessen. (Professor Timothy Larsen, 'Crisis of Doubt' OXFORD UNIVERSITY PRESS 2006. p. 199).

Professor Larsen also comments in a more recent piece: 'George Sexton was the only atheist leader in nineteenth-century Britain with an earned doctorate--although he was English, his PhD was from the venerable University of Giessen in Germany. As a man of science, he was a Fellow of a whole range of elite, learned institutions including the Royal Anthropological Institute, the Zoological Society, and the Royal Geographical Society. (2) As an atheist, perhaps George Sexton's most important scientific publication was a work drawing on Charles Darwin's thought entitled The Antiquity of the Human Race (1871)'. (Professor Timothy Larsen, 'War is over, if you want it' AMERICAN SCIENTIFIC Publication 2008)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast