Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: SEXTON - Jersey

David150

Thanks, I agree that Professor Larsen's work is interesting. My interest from a church history and academic POV is the contribution made by Dr George Sexton to the study of the Universality of Religion. Professor Larsen refers to Dr Sexton's interest in the concept of Universality of Religion in his 'Crisis of Doubt' p. 219 (OXFORD UNIVERSITY PRESS 2006). In particular, the re-engineering of 'Doubt' at that time in the face of revolution, monarchical struggle and scientific development across Europe both intrigued and troubled the established church in Rome. This forms part of the dialogue between Sexton and Cesilli and others (St Scholastica's Library, Rome). Professor Timothy Larsen refers to sections of Dr Sexton's analysis and wide academic conversation partners (Ibid. p. 220 OXFORD UNIVERSITY PRESS 2006) and refers to one of Dr George Sexton's published works - 'Theistic Problems' p. 102 (London: HODDER & STOUGHTON 1880).

It seems that at points in history the established church could have reacted and developed in a particular way - 'co-operation above conflict' or a 'Universal approach'. Dr George Sexton's private and published work sits at a historic crossroads and embraces elements of an academic conversation at various times with those of diverse interests including Jacobites, Darwin, Marx and Rome. In my view the study of the reaction of the established churches to the suggestion of a 'Universal' approach provides pointers to the nature of current and future co-operations.

Davran

MY interest in Rev George Sexton is as an ancestor - he was my ggggrandfather. He was born in 1825 in Hainford, Norfolk to Samuel (a farmer of 12 acres) and Mary Sexton. In 1841 he was living in Hainford with his parents and siblings - he was listed as a male servant. He married Elizabeth Turner in Southwark in 1848, by which time he was described as a surgeon. George and Elizabeth had their first child, Justus Liebig in 1851. The family was living in Tower Hamlets and George was listed as "Physician Graduate of Gottingen".

My understanding is that degrees could be purchased from German universities, which is what I assumed George had done as I have been unable to obtain any proof of formal study of any kind. In fact, during a debate with a Dr Hime regarding vaccination in 1872 (Sheffield Daily Telegraph) some doubt was cast on his medical qualifications.

There is no doubt that he was an educated and intelligent man, who was much respected as a speaker and wrote many articles on medical and religious themes.

I am intrigued by the suggested Jacobite connection as, as far as I can determine, the family came from Norfolk. If anyone can enlighten me, I would be most grateful.

David150

Hi Davran,
    Very happy to help you with your interest if possible. Professor Timothy Larsen gives you part of the answer for your para two. Professor Larsen has confirmed that Dr George Sexton was a student at University College London. This is confirmed in an email dated 28 June 2005 by Wendy Butler, Archivist of University College London Records Office (Ibid. p.198. OXFORD UNIVERSITY PRESS 2006).
    As set out above Professor Larsen has confirmed that Dr George Sexton's Ph.D was awarded by Giessen University in Prussia.
    I have re-requested hard copies of documents which I have seen in Rome relating to the early education of Dr George Sexton. These documents provide evidence that Dr Sexton was in fact brought up in Fakenham, Norfolk and was provided with a highly structured early education such that he was fluent in latin and ancient greek before the age of nine years old and that he was not brought up by his listed parents or legal guardians. The funding for this education was connected to a Mr William Gordon or Gordon family connected both with Paris in France and Jersey. It was not uncommon for 'Diaspora Families' to change information required in census, birth and death certificates since they of course did not respect the legitimacy of a regime imposed to a large extent on England and in particular Scotland. Sometimes they changed only one letter in a name or the order of a name and sometimes used names which were very unusual. This makes the job of a researcher harder but it is clear that Dr George Sexton and his sponsors were connected with the Swedenborgian network from an early age. It is mooted with authority that the Swedenborgian network at that time was more secretive than the networks of Scottish Jacobites and Freemasons but they were of course inter-connected. This may not be of interest to you but I believe that it has a bearing on Dr Sexton's education and his rejection of the established church for a period of twenty years and his subsequent re-discovery which has so interested Professor Larsen. The Thread above provides evidence from the Jersey archive, and other evidence archived in Jersey and Rome, that here is a family with a very close connection with Swedenborg. Professor Larsen provides detailed and fully researched evidence that Dr Sexton was a key person in the re-engineering and exploration of religious and scientific thought during his life. However, Professor Larsen notes that 'Sexton's life story has never been fully pieced together' (Ibid. p.197. OXFORD UNIVERSITY PRESS 2006) and suspects that much remains in private archives not in the public domain.
    One point which interests me from an earlier Thread which you have written is that you note that are aware that Dr Sexton was given a ring or other artefacts perhaps connected with the tomb of Cicero by the Accademia Dei Quiriti in Rome. I would like to enquire whether you know at what approximate date that gift was made please.

Davran

Thanks, David150. That is most interesting and would account for the apparent anomaly of George's education and comparatively humble background. My brother has the information about the ring and I will ask him if it gives a date. Do you have any information about the Accademia dei Quiriti? I have not been able to find out much about it.

Re the Jersey Sextons, Prof Alexander Humboldt Sexton joined his children in Jersey. Florence, as you know, was a doctor and George Alex was a Swedenborgian minister.

Davran

David150

I have contacted my brother, who says that Rev George was given a glass stone purporting to have been found in Cicero's grave, with an intaglio of Socrates' head, which he then had set into a ring. This stone was given to him by Prof Mariana in 1872. How does that tie in with your documentation?

David150

Thanks Davran,
    Regarding your first point, the Roman Academies were associations of scholars and there were a number established in the seventeenth and eighteenth centuries. The Pontificia Accademia degli Arcadi ('Academy of Arcadia') was a literary academy formally founded in about 1690 by Gravina and Crescimbeni. This Academy had met informally for a number of years prior to that date under the patronage of Queen Christina of Sweden (from about 1660). The Academies were often influential in their respective areas and therefore attracted the attention of Heads of State and the Papacy. It is believed that in about 1711 there was a difference of opinion between Gravina and Crescimbeni, and Gravina founded the Accademia Dei Quiriti, initially another literary Academy. The Archives of the Academy of Arcadia are housed in the Biblioteca Angelica in Rome.
    The second point concerns your information about the ring and the documentation in relation to Dr George Sexton who was a member of Accademia Dei Quiriti. The date you mention is before the death of Luigi Cesilli who had been President of the Natural Science Facility of the Pontifical Academy of the Concezione and President of the mineralogical branch of the Quiriti. Cesilli had been charged with a study into the origin of mankind (probably after Darwin's 'Voyage of the Beagle' in 1831 but many years before the publication of 'On the Origin of Species'). With the fall of the Napoleonic system in Italy and restoration of the Papal States in about 1814, some of the artefacts which had been 'safely stored' were restored to their owners or heirs over the following decades. The documentation at the Library of the Monastery of Subiaco indicates that Cesilli played a private part in this restoration. However, part of the Luigi Cesilli 'collection' was also lost after the death of Ceselli. The date you give (before the death of Cesilli) would indicate that the ring (and possibly other artefacts unspecified) were a restoration to George Sexton as an heir and this ties in with the documentation. A number of researchers in Rome have clearly linked your George Sexton to branches of the Gordon and Seton families of Scotland. Your information about the ring will interest other correspondents to this Forum and other Threads since there are a number of Jacobite Scottish families who have used archives in Roman libraries or collections to confirm their family lines.

Spencer

David, thank you for your interesting contribution. That is very kind of you considering that your central interest is in Swedenborg although there seems to be significant links between the GSI to GSIV chain, Dr Florence, GAS and Swedenborg and Clan Stuart. My observation coming from a different angle and with my own Clan Stuart in mind is that this family (GSI-IV) for a considerable period of time and throughout generations has observed considerable discretion and secrecy. Professor Larsen observes the same in the character of GSIII. It is of course possible that GSIII was unaware of the position and wealth of his grandfather in his early life. However, this family has acted so precisely and with such discretion that the line and links fall outside of public records. It is a family who for the most part seek to remain private. These are people who forfeited significant Scottish estates for the Jacobite cause and while other Scots compromised their values, they created a new life and the rest was unimportant. Your academic work and interest in the Universal approach to religion and conflict resolution is also fascinating and GSIII did indeed play a significant part. Thanks.

Spencer

David, I understand that the original Cesilli documents in relation to this matter are held in private archives in Sweden and not in Rome. There are some very able academics and other commentators who research the Swedenborg organisation who have made me aware of the Scottish-Swedish-Prussian axis and the links to the Jacobite court at Paris, Avignon and Rome. It is clear from Professor Larsen's work that Dr George Sexton had a proximity to Marx in London, and the Swedenborg records indicate the family links between the von Westphalen family's Scottish ancestors and Sexton (through clan Douglas and Stuart). Dr George Sexton was a beneficiary of academic contacts at Gottingen and Giessen courtesy of Jenny von Westphalen's brother. The Giessen academic record of Dr George Sexton has been validated by Professor Larsen. Many Scottish Jacobite families forged successful careers on the continent (the Scottish Keith brothers for example) and did not return.

Default Florence Elizabeth SEXTON MB ChB MTCA

I'm trying to find out a bit more about Florence Elizabeth Sexton.

I'm making a radio history of vegetarianism. On May 8th 1911, a talk ascribed to a "Florence E. Sexton, MB, ChB, MTCA, Teachers Diploma of the Midland Dairy Institute and the Kilmarnock Dairy School" about dairy products is read (presumably by Florence herself) at the Glasgow Vegetarian Society. It's an even-handed take on what's we might now call the vegan question.

It's described in "Vegetarian Messenger and Health Review" 1911, p 192.

The Ancestry.com thread on her has her born in 1878, an art student in 1901, speaking Esperanto, getting a medical degree (around 1910, I think).

But her experience of dairy farming isn't something that's turned up yet - any idea how that fitted into the rest of her life?

And what does "MTCA" mean as a post-nominal?

The Scotsman, 20 Oct 1899

BUTTERMAKING COMPETITION AT KILMARNOCK
    First Competition - 7th place - Miss Florence E. Sexton, 1 Hamilton Terrace, W. Glasgow
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast