Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GAMBIER family

ccallow

Default GAMBIER family

Hello, is anyone researching the GAMBIER family from London? My line starts with a Thomas GAMBIER born 1783 who married Ann Bolton from Nantwich, Cheshire in 1819 and went on to have 14 children. One of them was William born 1830 and died 1900. He married Elizabeth Edwards in 1853 and the family eventually settled in Watford. Ibsp; I have lots of info to share. Regards Christine.

artscot

Hello Christine,

Just spotted your interest in the Gambier name, mine has only recently started.

I have details of some William and Elizabeths descendents, I was trying to find out if I have the correct family for Eilizbeth Frances Edwards, as there are a few possibles. She is siad to be from Horse Race, Brixton, Surrey.

Regards, Artscot.

ccallow

Hello, yes I am descended from the Gambier's. My great grandmother was Louisa Elizabeth Gambier (1890-1986), daughter of Thomas and Frances. Elizabeth Frances Edwards was Thomas' mother and lived in Water Lane, Brixton on the 1841 census. What's your connection? Regards, Christine.

artscot

Hello Christine,
    I have an interest through my Gson's girl friend! and so far have got back to Thomas c1783 and Ann Bolton his wife. Throgh William and Elizabeth Francis Edwards, and thier son Edward Evan and his wife Emily Cooper.

Looks like the same family.

artscot.
    Last edited by artscot; 25-12-2011 at 2:36 PM. Reason: hit wrong button, too quick!

artscot

[QUOTE=artscot;503215]Hello Christine,
    I have an interest through my Gson's girl friend! and so far have got back to Thomas c1783 and Ann Bolton his wife. Throgh William and Elizabeth Francis Edwards, and thier son Edward Evan and his wife Emily Cooper.

Looks like the same family.

ccallow

Hello, yes definitely the same family. I have Edward Evan 1863 to 1938, a public house licensee at the Kings Head in Poole. Family rumour has it that he was a local councillor and was asked to run as Mayor of Poole but declined. His wife Emily died in 1910 and I found Edward on the 1911 census with his second wife Alice Mary, nee Hunt who he married on 9th Oct 1910. She died in 1936 and when Edward died in 1938 he left £444 1s 7d to Winifred Gambier who was his niece, being the daughter of his sister Annie Rosanna. Edward & Emily had a son Edward William Gerald Gambier 1888 - 1973 who served in WW1 as a Gunner in the Royal Garrison Artillery. He had 4 children with his wife Florence - Edward Alfred 1910-1911, Edward William George 1911-2002, Ernest E 1917-1918 and Emily Vera 1920-1989. I think I have a photo of Edward Evan which I could send you but I would need your personal email address for that. Going backwards, I believe Elizabeth Frances Edwards was the daughter of William and Ruth Rosanna, nee Williams and also that Ann Bolton's parents were William and Nancy. Thomas Gambier 1783-1848 was born in Africa as far as we can make out but we have no definite proof of that. Regards, Christine.

artscot

Christine,

artscotak2tiscali DOT co DOT uk will reach me

Cheers Arthur
    Last edited by Procat; 27-12-2011 at 11:43 PM. Reason: Email edited against spammers

rjgvip

Hi Christine, JFG son Reg here......how are you getting on with finding the elusive Thomas?........hope to hear from you sometime

ccallow

Default Thomas Gambier

Hi Reg, good to hear from you. Found that Thomas was previously married to a Sarah Killingback at St Dunstans in the West on 12th September 1806. Sadly Sarah died in 1816 along with their two children Eliza born 1810 and Mary born 1815. All three were buried at All Saints, Kingston upon Thames. Sarah was possibly the daughter of a John and Lydia Killingback and baptised 23rd Feb 1781 in St Mary, Bromley St Leonard, Tower Hamlets. As regards Thomas' background, another descendent decided to pay out for a DNA test and advises me ............ "papers are only 100% confirmation of the fact that Thomas is African from The Gambia (West Africa). I guess the sea captain just westernised the name to make it more 'normal' for the lad. Pity we can't trace the captain" Also ......."From the papers, I think he was a Mandenka rather than Bantu; but also because of trade and slave-trading*between Africa and the Middle East there is also a bit of Jewish in our make-up, but I think it goes back to the year dot" Something to think about! What do you think? Regards, Christine.

s gambier

Hi. We read a copy of a will made by lord Gambier in which he gives his slave Thomas his freedom and leaves him in the care of lord Middleton who played a large part in ending slavery in England. As slaves were given the name of their owner we beleive this is how he got the name GAMBIER. Our family always told the story that he became a boot boy at the houses of parliment before he enter into service. Of course we have no proof this is the same Thomas mentioned in the will but the dates fit.

Hope this helps Sonia

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast