Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    charmedc

Unhappy Culley and McLeish

I am trying to research my family from overseas which is a task in itself but when you think you are getting somewhere suddenly you realize that you have really got no where and fast!
    My father was one of 16 apparently and his father came from a large family too or so my father told me when he was alive. My problem is, when I have gone to any of the census I find nothing for the name of Culley. My grandfather and great grandfather's names were Thomas so you would think that there would at least be a Thomas Culley and a John Culley on a census but nothing. I am also trying to trace a Andrew Ford McLeish that is on my grandmother's birth certificate as her father and mother Euphemia Alexander - I do not think they were ever married as this I cant find either.
    Is there anyone out there that might be able to help me at least get a start?
    thank you
    regards
    Jacki

Julie Tyrell

Might sound silly but you are searching the scottish census records and not the England/Wales ones. This may be why you can't find them!! Trying using scotlands people, you have to buy units but the BMD records are all online so no waiting them to arrive by post.

Good luck Julie

charmedc

that is a possibility..... dumb me, Aussie here.. lol - though I did try with scotlandspeople.gov.uk to find quite a few marriages and birth certificates and because of all the common names in my ancestry spent a LOT of money.... so the only place to look for Scottish census records is scotlandspeople.gov.uk and not any of the others including the free census site???
    thanks again Julie, really appreciate your help
    Jacki

Julie Tyrell

There is not a free Scottish census site that I am aware of, if anybody else knows of one please share that knowledge with us!!

Julie

charmedc

Julie isnt https://freecen.rootsweb.com/ covering Scotland too??? I have some of my ancestors on here...
    regards
    Jacki

Julie Tyrell

I think it does but and please correct me if I am wrong, not all the data has been submitted yet, so there are holes. I think that the 1841 is fairly good, though my Scottish relatives have a clever ability of vanishing when the census were complied!! However, I thought that the later years weren't as well covered.

Julie

charmedc

Julie you are a blessing, and no i would not correct you at all as you have been able to supply me with more information today that i have spent the past few days to say nothing of perhaps weeks looking for.
    I havent been doing this for very long but i am finding it so addictive to try and trace my family members. I am just sad that I have a bundle of photographs of family members that I have no idea as to who they are. I do have a couple that go back into the 1800s with names but unfortunately there are only a very small few.
    regards
    Jacki

kevin c

hi jacki im not sure what you might think but im related to you im kevin culley im from dundee my father is edward (sonny) culley i think your dad was john and your mum em i have been trying to get a family tree set up as well but its not easy scotland is quite hard to get info for free and it costs a lot of dosh to get info but i would like to help you and you can help me i have great granddad and grandmother thomas culley married sarah gethins in 1900 grandfather john culley married mary mcleish 1924 then my father edward culley married my mother betsy gibb then me then my son kevin robert culley but you dont want my side ha ha gran mcleish i think was born in1905 (06)now this is were it gets a bit wierd the name euphemia alexander crops up she was married to christopher nicoll now try to get this round your head are you ready either grans mother mary collins or her dad andrew mcleish had a fling as sorts with either euphemia alexander or christopher nicoll but things did not work out and they went back to each other but one found out they were pregnant with gran but chris nicoll refused it was his child and would not permit his name to be put on the birth certificate so she was named mcleish im still trying to clear that one up but the older gen are a bit thin on the ground now

Mutley

Hello kevin c and welcome to the forum.
    Sadly Jacki is no longer a member of BG and will be unable to see your post.

Maybe you could ask your question on the Scottish board and see if any other members could help.

Good Luck

kevin c

thanks didnt see date she was last on god 5 years ago pity i have a lot of info for her never mind i will try to get in contact some other way as im sure we are related kev c over and out

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast