Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    johndixon

Default Manston Cottage Homes

Thanks Peter,
    I have a disabled badge so I hope that there will be suitable parking nearby.

By the way Mum's parents weren't married, I do have both names on her birth certificate though.

Reputation beyond repute

"I have a disabled badge so I hope that there will be suitable parking nearby."

In that case I'm sure they will sort something out if you arrange it when you phone. There are some spaces immediately outside the building although I've never taken any notice of whether they belong to the building or are normal public metered spaces. However there is a small private car park immediately opposite which does belong to them.

I think junction 7 of the M20 would be favourite in order to avoid the town centre. Give me a shout if you need any more. Pop in for a cup of tea if you like - I'm only just off the A249

johndixon

Default Manston Cottage Homes

Hi Peter,
    I hope to be able to get up to Maidstone within the next month. I appreciate all the help & yes it would be nice to pop in & meet you.
    I will let you know when I plan to go.

John

nickic

I live in one of the cottages in Spratling Street that was built as a tied cottage for staff of the home in 1917. I would be very interested in any history of the Home that you come up with. There is a painting in St Catherines Church in Manston done by a former resident from his memory of the village at about the time you are talking about.

Pilgarlic

My Grandad along with his siblings were sent to Manston Cottage Homes as well. I think he must have gone there circa 1912 after his mother and father were unable to look after him.
    John was very lucky to receive the info on his mum over the phone. I will try that.

I have a couple of old postcards photos of Manston Cottage Homes. If anyone wants to see them they can contact me and give me their email.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Quote Originally Posted by johndixon View Post
    Manston Cottage Homes
    In 1901, the Isle of Thanet Union opened a children's home at Manston.

My mother was resident there from 1928 at the age of 7, until around 1936.
    On leaving the homes she went into service in Ramsgate, a position which was arranged for her.
    It would be nice to have further information on the homes.
    Anyone out there who might have had relatives there either as children or perhaps staff?
    Hi there, I have a little information on the Cottage Homes as my grand parents were instrumental in setting them up,,My Grandfathers name Was Edmund Martins ,I cant remember my grandmothers name offhand but my mother grew up in the homes as her parents ran it until he died and again I cant remember the date but I think I have his Obituary and reports from his funeral at a nearby church which I think was in Ramsgate (Not sure ) There used to be a monument to them in Manston village I know that many many of the children came back to see them after they had grown up and left but came back to visit as they all loved them. They were held in great esteem by all those who came into contact with them I believe, I never knew them as I was born at the end of the second world war by which time they had both passed. I hope this helps with your quest for knowledge My name is Barry Martins .

Welcome to the British Genealogy Forum, Barry.
    I'm not sure that you realised that this is a rather old thread, indeed, johndixon hasn't been on the Forum since 2009. If he is still using the same email address that he registered with, he should get a message that you have replied to this thread and may come back.

Thank you for the information, it will be of help to others interested in this family. In the mean time, why not start researching your grandmother and her family?

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Quote Originally Posted by Lesley Robertson View Post
    Welcome to the British Genealogy Forum, Barry.
    I'm not sure that you realised that this is a rather old thread, indeed, johndixon hasn't been on the Forum since 2009. If he is still using the same email address that he registered with, he should get a message that you have replied to this thread and may come back.

Thank you for the information, it will be of help to others interested in this family. In the mean time, why not start researching your grandmother and her family?
    I thank you for that ,I will do some more research as it was when I found some messages about them that I started to look for information as to the history of the Homes since me grandparents were there...So thanks once again.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12