Thread: Dulverton

margaretherbert@blueyonde

Exclamation Dulverton

Can anyone tell me what Westerns Dulverton was in 1942. Someone in my family tree was born there.

Charles 755

Default Westerns

Hi margaretherbert@blueyonde

I am reading Oakford The History Of A Devon Parish by E.W. Bentley. ISBN 0 9507942 0 1. It mentions Western Farm (earlier Wasthorne), Westlake and GradThorne which were situated east of Oakfordbridge on the B3227.
    Western Farm still remains and at one time there was a Higher & Lower Western. The Tithes map of 1839 shows Western as a single holding comprising of 223 acres.
    Also the Westerns family lived in Oakford until around 1700 and presumably derived their name from the farm which was their home.

As Western Farm is on the boarder of Brushford this could be a connection with your birth at Westerns Dulverton.

Jan1954

Hello Charles,

Just to let you know that Margaret has not been on the forum since she posted this question in March 2006.

It may be that she has her user profile set up so that she receives an email notification when someone replies to the thread. However, if she does not, you may wish to send her a PM, which should result in an email being sent to her.