Aalandjana

Default Somerset Fencible Cavalry

Has anybody got any information on Somerset Fencible Cavalry in the 1790s?
    My ancestor William Lambert served as a private in this cavalry in 1797, which I know from his marriage certificate. He got married in Alford, Lincolnshire. I don't know where he was born - did he have to live in Somerset to be in the cavalry?
    Any help appreciated.

Allan Middleton
    [email protected]

pwenlock

Hi Allan,

Have a look at this web site for the Somereset Military Museum - https://www.sommilmuseum.org.uk/article.php?id=5 It may point you in the right direction.

General Information on all the Fencible Regiments can be found at https://www.napoleon-series.org/milit...encibles1.html

Yours aye
    Paul

Aalandjana

Thanks for the information. I am puzzled a bit by the fact that my ancestor was in Alford in Lincolnshire, so I would like to understand the Somerset connection.

Thanks for any help

Allan

pwenlock

That is a quandry, I'd love the hear the answer when you get to the bottom of it.

Regards
    Paul

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Quote Originally Posted by pwenlock View Post
    That is a quandry, I'd love the hear the answer when you get to the bottom of it.

Regards
    Paul
    I also have found a relative who was a Private in the “Somersetshire Fencible Cavalry” as quoted on his marriage certificate in 1798, his name was James Wilton and his bride was Martha Bachelor, they married in Wainfleet, Lincolnshire. So I can only assume the regiment must’ve been based in Lincolnshire for a short period.

Regards, Adam

Growing old Disgracefully

If you Google Somersetshire Fencible Cavalry you will find "List of British fencible regiments - Wikipedia"
    You will find your explaintion.

Somersetshire Regiment [4] Colonel John, Earl Poulett.[11] 28 March 1794 Early 1800