Scared of spiders but fond of frogs!

Question 1871 Census - Greenwich & Bearsted

If some kind person who has the 1871 Census for the above two areas, happens to be trawling for themselves ....... I shall be eternally grateful if you could keep an eye open for the name AUSTIN on your travels!

I am trying to find:

Mary Ann AUSTIN aged 47/48 Widow b. Kirby, Essex
    George S. AUSTIN aged 7 Son b. Colchester, Essex

Her husband died 7 Feb 1866 Bearsted so she may still be in this area in 1871.

However, she may have gone to live near her son, Frederick J. SALMON, who was the Publican at "Star in the East", Blackwall Lane, Greenwich.

This is the only census I can't find for her ...... and it's driving me mad!
    Good luck with your research everybody!

Procat

Hi Diane,

I have just checked 1871 census Ancestry but can not find them. The 1871 is still being indexed however.

Regards,

Thumbs up Thankyou!

Crumbs, that was quick! How kind of you to try and find her for me! Shame that she isn't there at the moment ...... but I'll live in hope that I find her before I actually meet her in person and ask!

Procat

Don't give up hope yet.

The 1871 is being constantly updated.

Steve Steere

Hi Diane,

There is a remakable coincidence on the 1871 that may be your couple.
    RG 10, 754/f.117. Greenwich.
    There is a George Henry SALMON, H, M, 34, Publican, Colne, Essex, with a wife Mary A, 44, Walton on the Naze, Essex, son George, 7, Colchester, Essex, and Agnes GRANT, Niece, 8, Walton on the Naze, Essex.

Is George Henry related, and Mary staying with him, but the enumerator thought they were married?

Steve

Hi Steve,

Unfortunately there is no connection (boohoo) as Mary AUSTIN nee Grant doesn't have a brother with that name.

Precocious Mary Grant had three children out of wedlock, with maybe the same Father (or maybe not) ...... they were all registered as GRANT on their birth certs with Father Unknown.

She did marry John AUSTIN however, so George was legitimate.

One of her sons was Frederick GRANT (birth cert) baptised Frederick James GRANT when he was two, which was the name on his marriage cert February 1871.

On the 1871 Census, called himself Frederick James SALMON, a second marriage in 1883 - 1900 he became Frederick James GRANT-SALMON so he has led me a dance since I started researching my husband's family.

I think the reason for all this changing of names is that I believe a wealthy farmer called James SALMON is his Father, but I can't prove it! He was married, only ever had a daughter and lived in the same village as Mary when Frederick was born, plus after the death of his wife ..... he moved from Essex to Poplar and lived around the corner from Frederick in 1881.

Wink

Hi again Steve,

A friend phoned me today about this lot, he thought it too much of a coincedence for this census not to have a connection somewhere.

He's very experienced in research, so he's probably right.

Knowing that Mary Ann was a bit of 'a slapper' to say the least, he thought that perhaps she and her son George just went to live with George Henry Salmon. Perhaps George was a much younger brother or nephew of James Salmon and she decided to keep it in the family?

She didn't marry him, as she is AUSTIN in 1881 and son George S. AUSTIN is still with her and George SALMON is in Surrey in 1881 by the looks of it.

George H. SALMON Head M Male 44 Essex, Licensed Victualler
    Mary E. SALMON Wife M Female 32 London, Middlesex
    Amy E. SALMON Daur U Female 1 Croydon, Surrey
    George H. SALMON Son U Male 2 w Croydon, Surrey

I tried searching on the IGI for George H. Salmon's baptism, but nothing there, so don't know if he's James' brother /nephew or not at this stage. I don't have any Agnes GRANT's in my file either b. 1863/1864, so I don't know who her Parents are.

Steve Steere

Your friend is probably right, but it requires further digging, as ever one step forward and two back.

Well it meant that she had food & lodging rather than the poorhouse.

Good luck!

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Steere View Post
    Hi Diane,

There is a remakable coincidence on the 1871 that may be your couple.
    RG 10, 754/f.117. Greenwich.
    There is a George Henry SALMON, H, M, 34, Publican, Colne, Essex, with a wife Mary A, 44, Walton on the Naze, Essex, son George, 7, Colchester, Essex, and Agnes GRANT, Niece, 8, Walton on the Naze, Essex.

Is George Henry related, and Mary staying with him, but the enumerator thought they were married?

Steve
    Hi Diane,
    Sorry to drag up an old thread but Google brought me here and I just wondered if you have any more info now on the son George Salmon aged 7 in 1871.

It's probably a long shot, but my gt grandfather was George Salmon and I can't find anything before his marriage in 1882 (to Louisa Vincentia Bell). So I was wondering if his surname had been changed and his mother was Mary Ann mentioned in the 1871 census?

The info I have is:
    George's death in 1889 in Cambridge was listed in the local newspaper and gave his birthplace as Silvertown. In the Banns, his father is listed as George Henry, a deceased publican.

At some stage the son ran pubs in Cambridge, but one of his sons (George Charles) was born in Essex in 1883 according to the 1891 census.

Cheers,
    Chris

marymog

Quote Originally Posted by Diane Grant-Salmon View Post
    Hi again Steve,

A friend phoned me today about this lot, he thought it too much of a coincedence for this census not to have a connection somewhere.

He's very experienced in research, so he's probably right.

Knowing that Mary Ann was a bit of 'a slapper' to say the least, he thought that perhaps she and her son George just went to live with George Henry Salmon. Perhaps George was a much younger brother or nephew of James Salmon and she decided to keep it in the family?

She didn't marry him, as she is AUSTIN in 1881 and son George S. AUSTIN is still with her and George SALMON is in Surrey in 1881 by the looks of it.

George H. SALMON Head M Male 44 Essex, Licensed Victualler
    Mary E. SALMON Wife M Female 32 London, Middlesex
    Amy E. SALMON Daur U Female 1 Croydon, Surrey
    George H. SALMON Son U Male 2 w Croydon, Surrey

I tried searching on the IGI for George H. Salmon's baptism, but nothing there, so don't know if he's James' brother /nephew or not at this stage. I don't have any Agnes GRANT's in my file either b. 1863/1864, so I don't know who her Parents are.
    the two cchildren born in croydon had mothers maiden name Tallentire