JanM

Default Brockway/Chiveral

My gt gt grandmother was Jane BROCKWAY. I believe she was born and christened in Shaftesbury, either in 1803 or 1807 or 1811. Her ages on census forms and death certificate do not coincide.

I am also looking to confirm that her parents were William Brockway and Elizabeth CHIVERAL, who were married at St James Shaftesbury on 15 August 1803. Her occupation is spinster, and his is “sojourner” which is very odd. We thought the name Brockway was more usually connected with Wiltshire, around the Donhead area. Does anyone have these names in their backgrounds please?

Jan

Elley

Default Brockway/Chiveral

Hi,

I have found this one. Jane had siblings should you need them.

Jane Brockway Christened 27 November 1803 Shaftesbury Dorset
    Parents were William Brockway and Elizabeth

Regards,

Elley

JanM

Hi, Elley, thanks for that. I think though that that "first" Jane died, and that my gt-gt grandmother was born in 1811. Someone else very kindly did the initial research for us, and so I have some basic information. I think I will just have to get myself organised with a film from the local FHC!
    Cheers
    Jan

drakefield

Donhead St Mary and Peter are both very close to Sahftesbury and the BROCKWAYs lived in an area around Shaston (old name for Shaftesbury) out to about 20 miles for centuries. There were only ever around 100 families at any one time and only about 5 lines coming down from 1700.

Patrick

Ffortune

Patrick you sound as if you have done a bit of work on the Brockways. My 10xggm is Gyllian Brockway & she marries Thomas Horder 1622 in D St M. have you come across her at all? regards ffortune

drakefield

Default Brockways

The Brockways predominantly lived in the hinterland of Shaftesbury, most of which is in Wiltshire (around the Donheads) but also they lived in Dorset...Cann, Motcombe, Gillingham etc.

Patrick

angelcake

Default Brockway marries a Morgan

Dear All

I have an Emily Brockway born Mar 1855 Shaftesbury marrying George Morgan born Aug 1859 Donhead St Mary - they married 25 Dec 1883 in Shaftesbury. George & I are 1st cousins 3 times removed. I have more on the Morgans if any help.

Regards

Angelcake

SophieSaunder89

Hello,

I am researching my family tree & believe i descend from the Arnold/Brockway lines. Can anyone help me with confirming some details i have?

Many Thanks
    Sophie